some ideas b4 i start my FO or FOWLR

michelle

Reefing newb
Next month I am upgrading my 33 gallon reef tank ( a work in progress) to a 55.
I was going to use the old 33 as a sump, but started thinking that it could be my opportunity to get a puffer. I love the things! I have kept fresh and brackish puffers and actually started my saltwater tank in the hopes of a valentini puffer, but, I really wanted corals.
Anyway. Now I am thinking of maybe a valentin or honeycomb puffer and one other fish..small trigger? I dunno, just thinking outloud.
Any thoughts?
Also, just a florescent 50/50 should be fine for such a tank shouldn't it?

A 33 gallon tank would be too small for a trigger, but you could keep that puffer and a small lionfish in it. Both of those are really messy eaters, and I think you may have a hard time keeping up with the water quality. If you had a good skimmer and kept up with water changes, I don't think it'd be a problem though. And just regular fluorescent lights would be fine for a fish only setup.

there is no such thing as a small trigger. they tend to be between 10 inches and 3 feet. puffers get big as well, but you can keep one in your 33 for 2-3 years before he will outgrow that tank.

Dwarf lionfish only get 4-5 inches and that would be great in your 33.

-Doc

there is no such thing as a small trigger. they tend to be between 10 inches and 3 feet. puffers get big as well, but you can keep one in your 33 for 2-3 years before he will outgrow that tank.

Dwarf lionfish only get 4-5 inches and that would be great in your 33.

-Doc

Thanks, I really had no idea how big triggers were, and I know most puffers are bigger as well but I thought that the valentini was a smaller one. A dwarf lionfish sounds like a great idea though. I am excited already.

Back