someone new to salt planing to build a sump+undergravel jets

no pic today but ive had the tank up and running for 2 days now out in my garage checking for leaks, its only the pump and ato but everything is looking allright sofar. had a small leak in the back of the bulkhead that i forgot to tefflon.anywho its getting backgronud painted on atm then late this week it will get moved in and final setup.
the 900gph pump to 1inch to the 1/2inch ugj system is working well its not overly powerfull but can be felt about 6 inch's away from the tips. on a side note to that the pump is a bit loud but working fine anyone got some tricks to silence them some? anywho it will be nice when its all setup and if all goes well maby pickup some liverock this weekend. :P

You can try sitting the pump on something like a piece of commercial carpet or a piece of rubber mat. But some pumps are just noisier than others.

tank1.jpg

ok so i tossed the light on to get a quick look at it :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvNc5aYndSw]YouTube - tankvid1.3g2[/ame]

quick vid of the tank it's still a bit merky because i just put the sand in it not to long ago but i was just showing the live rock and ugj's in action. the big peice of live rock i got has some brown polyps of some kind on it and a leather coral that you cant really see atm but ill take anouther vid later

interesting! But looks like the sand will never settle on those spots and you're going to have murky water all the time.

Can you remind me again how you would stop those undergravel jets from back siphoning all the water out of your tank in the event of a power outage?

there is a check valve plumbed into the return line also there are 2 holes under the water line that will act as a siphon break if the water lvl goes below them. ife tested power out befor i moved it to my room and it worked fine :P

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3tDqfItEIU"]YouTube - All My Tanks aug 1 2010[/ame]

what are the names of the corals i have on that rock?

aright so final thoughts on ugj system after running it for a bit
- Cons
-i had to cut my 900 gph pump down to about half (running it full power makes the tank water murkey ive lernt that for my system it runs best to have th sand tumble a bit on the surface but no so much that it makes a hole
-my turbo snails and large naus snails will somtimes need a hand to get out the current jet system acts a bit like quick sand for them (this has only happend 2ce sofar)
-its not nearly enough flow to go without a powerhead like first planed but dose heal put some flow behind my rock and keeps food from getting stuck back there

-Pros
-the ugj system also helps keep rock in one place
-throughout diffrent waves of algae and diatomes growing on rock and sand there are large circles around the jets where it dosent grow

Id be willing to do it again on anouther tank sometime just to play with it somemore but i think id want to make more of a grid design with possably spliting the return behind the rockwall wherever i planed on putting it to more evenly spread the waterpreasure throughout the pipe. anouther change id make would be to but a lot more much smaller nossles under the sand so that the jets are weeker and spread that goes across the sandbed more evenly. with this way th pipes on farside might need to be downsized to keep preassure near the same all around from each set of jets. and i know bjohnson1234's idea for holes for siphion break was a good one saved me once sofar when i had to work on the pump this week, i ended up putting 2 small holes on the backside of the pipe on inside of the tank. ill tanke anouther vid soon.

Hi Pwny

I was just reading your post here and I was thinking about doing the same thing, my idea was the same as what you said on your last post of a more grid like system but I wasn't planning on putting full flow through it, just enough to have some movement to have a slight upward flow.

I am curious how is your jet system working?

Did you make any changes or just stop the whole thing?

Hopefully your still around since I am 2 years late and your pictures are gone.

Rob :sfish:

Back