Star Polyps + Bristleworms = trouble?

montoya

Reefing newb
Buried in a previous thread I mentioned my Star Polyp colony suddenly closed. Unfortunately it has been about 4 days now with no signs of them coming back out.

Anyway I was staring at my tank a short time ago lamenting the fact that I have nothing but crappy luck with polyps of any kind. It helps my self esteem further when I read about how super hardy and easy polyps are and how they will soon be taking over my tank.

As I was leaving my beautiful reef to go upstairs and grab a cold one :Cheers: to drown my sorrows I spotted what I believe is a bristleworm poking out from in between a couple of the closed polyps. It looked mostly tan in color with snow white bristles. It was tiny by worm standards - maybe a 1/8" or less in diameter and only sticking out 1/4" or so. It seemed in no hurry to go anywhere so I sprinted upstairs to grab a tweezer. I was hoping to be able to nab it but by the time I got back to my tank it was no where to be seen.

I'm probably asking the obvious but do you think a work crawling around the colony is what is keeping it closed? It seems probable - but on the other hand if a colony like this in nature closed up for days every time something crawled on it or touched it you would think they would perish.

I have a little worm trap already fashioned up. I may try to capture the little bugger this weekend.

Well,That is something else to think about.
99.9% of the bristle worms that make their way into our tanks are safe and mainly feed on detritus and scavenge for food.BUT,for the million or so species that are safe,there are 1 or 2 that are coral predators.

Bristleworms are some of the best members of your cleaning crew. They are excellent at keeping the sand and rocks clean. I doubt it's the bristleworm irritating the coral, they usually spend most of their time cruising the substrate.

It is probably a safe Bristle worm and not a predator. Star polyps are notorious for closing up for days at a time for no reason.

I'll keep an eye on them and ignore the worm for now. I'm a a skeptic because my first ever colony of polyps (common brown "button" polyps) did well for a month or so then closed up for a year and a half - no exageration. They didn't die off - they just stayed closed. Just in the past two months or so they have started to open slightly each day but not much. Someone gave me a nice colony of polyps or zoas (I don't know how to tell the difference) about a year ago. They are doing just ok - they open but not a hint of growth or spreading after a year. I had a colony of yellow polyps that stayed healthy for a month or two then slowly deteriorated to nothing. I have several varieties of mushrooms that are growing and spreading like nuts. A colt coral that is growing and has split several times, my bubble coral tripled in size, Xenia spreading everywhere... I just can't keep star ployps. Hopefully like everyone says my star polyps are just taking a break and will open again soon.

Yeah I doubt it's the bristleworms - I have a massive gsp colony that mats over a very porous rock that is absolutely infested with bristleworms.

GSP is my tank won't even close up if hermits walk on it - but if there's a chemical change in my tank (especially pH buffer), they get very upset. Temperature also seems to affect them pretty quick-like.

Thanks everyone. Biff - I might try a dip if things don't improve over the weekend. It does seem odd that only polyps seem to have issues in my tank. To parrotchute's point about water chemistry - during my routine maintenance this morning I did find that my salinity had shot up to 1.028. Not sure why. I monitor it several times a week and long term it has always been very stable. I brought it down to a hair under 1.026. I will see if that improves things for the star polyps.

Latching onto this thread. In my fuge I have 20 or so bristle worms that I've seen. I know there are much more in there. Can I have too many in the fuge? I know they're good at cleaning up and are beneficial to the system.

Latching onto this thread. In my fuge I have 20 or so bristle worms that I've seen. I know there are much more in there. Can I have too many in the fuge? I know they're good at cleaning up and are beneficial to the system.

I think your system will dictate how many you have. If there's enough for them to survive then they will. The amount of them will vary depending of their food source.

I've got improvement - about 1/2 my star polyp colony is partially open this afternoon. Not sure if the high salinity was the culprit or if it was just coincidence in timing.

Back