starfish dying?

saltwaternewby

Reefing newb
I purchased a chocolate chip starfish on christmas eve. It seems to be what I think (dead) he isnt really moving and I picked him up and on his "belly" it looks as if it has ripped or something. There is nothing in the tank to get hurt on i wouldnt think. Can anyone tell me what you think?????

in order to respond i would need a very good couple pictures of the belly, underside of the arms and the top. if you do decide the starfish is dead remove it immediately.

If your trying to run a reef tank I believe that Chocolate Chip star fish are not safe, I have seen them eat other star fish. Not positive.

Just a note on star fish

I had a crimson star fish about 6 months ago, at the time i had 2 blue damsils (with the yellow tails)

They would nip at his back, about 2 months later he got a nasty infection on his back and died. So they are very susiptable to infection on wounds.

My chocolate chip starfish is very tempermental, I will think that it is dead, but two or three days later it will be cruising along on the side of the tank. But I still haven't figured out why it becomes swollen every now and then. Does anyone know why?

Back