strange behavior

Clowns will be 100% fine without an anemone. :) You don't need one for the clowns. If you are interested in the clownfish-anemone symbiotic behavior, there are many corals out there that the clowns will host that are much easier to keep than anemones. If you have proper lighting, you can try hairy mushrooms, a toadstool leather or xenia. Clowns usually love those, and they are very easy to keep corals; great for any tank.

Good choice in restarting. While you're at it, I would recommend getting a bigger tank. It's probably the cheapest and best investment you could make. The larger tank will allow for less difficulty in managing water quality, provide more opportunity for fish with less stress and more enjoyment as you grow. If you're going to want to keep coral you probably need to spend some time learning about lighting. I would recommend the live rock and cycling for at least a month before adding any fish. You could add some snails (I like nassarius) and hermit crabs. If you do, you should probably start feeding the tank some flake food for them to eat, but don't use it after adding your fish as it is not very nutritious and is very messy. What kind of filtration do you have? The sand bed and live rock will handle a lot, but I would recommend getting a protein skimmer. Good luck!

i know most tanks take longer then 2 weeks to cycle i got lucky my tank was done in 2 week but (dont know if it really made a diffance) but i had 5 gals. of ocean water i brought back from the beach but it sounds like to me you bought a tank dumped the water in and the fish all in the same day and with 3 fish and the tank not cycled the ammonia went thru the roof and your water is toxic to your fish

In my humble opinion,

The creator of this topic has enough problems and seems to be operating under enough downright poor information. It is really not helpful to come in and suggest that other methods which are just as irresponsible and unnecessary are better or "worked for you".
In other words, you're not helping this situation at all.

$.02

In my humble opinion,

The creator of this topic has enough problems and seems to be operating under enough downright poor information. It is really not helpful to come in and suggest that other methods which are just as irresponsible and unnecessary are better or "worked for you".
In other words, you're not helping this situation at all.

$.02

you seem to like to trash talk my post a lot i didn't tell him to do any thing the only thing i was making the point that tanks cycle at different rates i had the water i brought back because i had a hermit crab in there and needed to keep it alive, and i have done research and many people if they where close enough would do water changes using ocean water the nice thing about this hobby is there are a lot of different ways to do thing. the main thing that is important is that the live stock stay healthy.

You should not use "water from the beach" for anything except swimming. You most certainly should not suggest using said water for an aquarium.

Actually cvc , I know people who use ocean water and have kept their reef tanks for years... successfully.Granted there are many unorthodoxed ways to get started. Not one way is completely the right way. The only wrong thing to do in this hobby is not do your research.

I never said it wasn't possible. It is not responsible as a hobbyist in my opinion, though, to encourage anyone to "go to the beach and get water".
Many waterways and coastal areas have heavy pollution. It is always better to err on the side of caution in my opinion.

Back