Strange things on trumpet corl that might be killing it!

luvmyryan

Reefing newb
I have a purple clump and a strange clear/orange striped tube on my trumpet. It isnt doing so well anymore. Almost all of the "flesh" is gone. Can anyone tell me what these things are and if it maybe whats killing it. strange.jpg

ohno.jpg

the purple thing looks like a sponge, maybe? the heads look pretty far gone. looks like they've been dying for a long time. not sure about the orange thing.

I guess Im not doing too well at this coral thing. I have a small patch of zoas and a duncan that I have done ok with. I have thrown hundereds of dollars away on coral. I do what the lfs tells me to do, but sometimes I think they are fos! No one in there tells me the same thing. They just tell me everything in my tank is for the best! I figured after eight months and still losing stuff left and right I should ask "real experts"!

That tube thing opens and closes!I got a better picture of it....
great.jpg

what kind of lights do you have and how old are they? Do you have the capability to test your own water (salinity, Ph, nitrites, nitrates, phosphates, calcuim, alkalinity, etc)? what kind of filter are you running? protein skimmer? how many lbs of rock do you have (or take a pic)? Is your tank water grounded? How many powerheads and what kind? Do you maintain steady temperature? What temp? steady salinty? what specific gravity?

I have about 70 lbs of live rock and about 4 inches of sand. I dont have a skimmer because the lfs said to just use a hob filter and it would do the same thing.
cal. 440
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
gravity 1.025
alkalinity 7
ph 8.1
I have 2 clown fish 1 yellow tang 1 blue hippo tang 1 dragon goby 1 purple urchin 1 brittle star fish tons of snails and hermits. Coral I have a tongue a duncan with a few heads small zoa and the trumpet.
The power head is 170 gph and the korala 900. Its a 50 gallon tank the dimentions are 30 in long x 18 in wide x 20 in deep.
I have T5 lighting with powerglo lights one is a white and one is a blue.
I have lost toadstool, mushrooms, hamer coral, frog spawn, a many others.
tank.jpg

I have about 70 lbs of live rock and about 4 inches of sand. I dont have a skimmer because the lfs said to just use a hob filter and it would do the same thing.

I am interested to hear if this is actually true.....

cal. 440
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
gravity 1.025
alkalinity 7
ph 8.1
I have 2 clown fish 1 yellow tang 1 blue hippo tang 1 dragon goby 1 purple urchin 1 brittle star fish tons of snails and hermits. Coral I have a tongue a duncan with a few heads small zoa and the trumpet.
The power head is 170 gph and the korala 900. Its a 50 gallon tank the dimentions are 30 in long x 18 in wide x 20 in deep.
I have T5 lighting with powerglo lights one is a white and one is a blue.
I have lost toadstool, mushrooms, hamer coral, frog spawn, a many others.
View attachment 12196

I am new to this and I may be wrong here but I am wondering if you have had so much trouble with corals in the past if your lighting is insufficient for the corals
I dont know what is on your corals but with the LFS selling you what they are I am willing to bet when you walk in they see $$ signs.......
How are you acclimating everything to your tank? Are you sure that none of your fish/corals didnt come with parasites on them??

[/QUOTE] How are you acclimating everything to your tank? Are you sure that none of your fish/corals didnt come with parasites on them??[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure... I do know that aiptasia did ride in on something.... I am waiting on the lfs to get pepermint shrimp for my tank.
I just do what they tell me too. But thats why I started searching on the net, they told me there was no need to do water changes in my tank! To just add RO water that they sell! When I took the pictures of the strange things on the trumpet in there and they told me that it was just a part of the coral, I decided that they was just blowing me off!

If you just have the two T5's it's not enough light to keep any type of coral.

And no, and HOB filter is not going to do the same thing as a skimmer. The skimmer physically removes all the crap from the water, while the filter just "catches" it, allowing it to decompose and release ammonia and such back into your water.

Also, please please take your tangs back to the LFS... your tank is not big enough for them.

And welcome to the site!

I will buy another tank for the tangs before I take them back to the lfs! I have had them for well the whole time I have had the tank after cycling, about eight months is my guess. I am a little partial to them, mostly the yellow, it has a big personality! I am trying to rehome my cichlids to make my 125 into another salt tank.

Its good to know that the T5 wont grow coral, I paid about 170 for the fixture and 40 for each light! So what do I need to get to save this coral?

Doing only what your LFS is telling you to do is probably why your tank is in a small state of disaster....You do need to do water changes in your tank, most people here are doing them weekly. You are adding their RO/DI water I assume is what you are saying? Is that the only water that you have ever put in your tank?

Your LFS is blowing you off. And selling you crap IMO

I will buy another tank for the tangs before I take them back to the lfs! I have had them for well the whole time I have had the tank after cycling, about eight months is my guess.
Are you sure your tank was done cycling?

I am a little partial to them, mostly the yellow, it has a big personality! I am trying to rehome my cichlids to make my 125 into another salt tank.
Good plan, put your tangs in there.
Coincidentally how are your fish doing and how many if any of those have you lost?

Its good to know that the T5 wont grow coral, I paid about 170 for the fixture and 40 for each light! So what do I need to get to save this coral?
Lights are pretty expensive but if you want to keep coral you need to really research it. Research EVERYTHING before you buy it. All of those corals are live animals that are simply perishing in your tank. I would visit Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums at the very least to educate yourself on what you already have in your tank. I would also visit the newbie forum and carefully read all of the stickies in there....

I will buy another tank for the tangs before I take them back to the lfs! I have had them for well the whole time I have had the tank after cycling, about eight months is my guess. I am a little partial to them, mostly the yellow, it has a big personality! I am trying to rehome my cichlids to make my 125 into another salt tank.

Unfortunately, the 125 still won't be big enough for the blue... but the yellow will be just fine in there.

The T5 WILL grow coral, you just need more than two bulbs...

t-5 would work for but I think it would take a six or maybe up to an 8 bulb fixture at 30 inch length they are only 24 watt each but at 20 inch depth your pushing the limits of what t-5 lights can do.. Odyssea Metal Halide System I would lean more toward a light like this one.
I dont mean it has to be that one but one like it..I have seen alot of people having good luck with these lights now..
and I agree with erin the 125 still wont be big enough for the blue.. need at least along the lines of a 180..

Lol no more Tang talk till I get a bigger tank. No there is no center brace in my tank. My fish are doing fine. Never lost one! (knock on wood!) I just lose coral! No one else knows what this strange crap is on my tank?
I done a water change this past saturday!

I would seriously look into a light like the one I mentioned above or even a pendant...
Would say LED but you would be looking at some cash upfront..

Back