stupid lighting question

2fastlx

Reefing newb
Hey everyone, this is probably a no-brainer for you guys but Im a little confused. I recently got a 46 bowfront that Im in the process of setting up. I got the tank, stand and hood all in a package deal. I think everything is made by Aqueon. The light fixture it came with has one single fluorescent bulb that is only 25 watts. After doing research here I know that 25 watts is chump change in the lighting department. Now, I plan on only having fish and some live rock in the tank, but down the road I may be interested in getting a soft coral or two. How would I go about increasing the lighting? Will a higher wattage bulb slide into the hood that came with the tank, or would I have to start all over with a whole new hood? Ive read all the literature that came with the tank and no where does it state the max. wattage the hood would handle.

Thanks,
John

You'd be better off buying a new light fixture that is better suited for your tank and saltwater. If you're only going with fish and maybe a few soft corals then power compact light will work fine. You can also look into T5's and Metal Halide if you're looking for more power.

They are right -- you will have to buy a new light setup to keep corals. That sounds like a freshwater hood. The tank will be perfectly fine with fish and live rock under that light.

I figured:frustrat: The hood that came with the tank only has about a 3" wide piece of clear plastic for the light to shine through. Im sure that isnt big enough for a better lighting system to sit over top of. Are there other hoods available for 46 bow fronts that are set up for better lighting?

We don't really use hoods... The lighting fixtures either come with legs and sit on top of the tank, or hang from the ceiling above. Did you buy the hood separately? If so, it's probably a good idea to take it back. If it came as one system, then just use it for now, but once you get better lights, it won't be usable anymore.

Thanks Biff, I just did a search here and found someones 46 with "legged" lights. Do you notice any more evaporation or salt accumulation around the tank by not using a full hood that keeps down the salt spray?

There shouldn't be too much salt creep because your water shouldn't be splashing around. Of course you will see some, but nothing that you can't wipe off once a month or so. Not having a hood does increase evaporation, but that also releases heat and keeps the tank cooler, so evaporation isn't necessarily a bad thing. A lot of people build canopies around their lights to hide them. You could do something like that.

Ok, Down here we run the A/C just about year round. I remember having to add water all the time when I had tanks years ago.

Back