T5 fixture question again

steelcity

Reefing newb
Currently have my 75 and plan on doing something along the lines of 60x22x22 down the road. Will either be a regular rectangular tank that will yield something like 115 gallons or will be a bowfront if I can find a manufacturer. In either case the tank will be 22" at the widest part.

Trying to decide about the ATI Sunpower 6x54 or waiting for the new Tek Elite 8x54. In either case I'm doing the 48" fixtures and will hang it. Both fixtures will be more than adequate for my current 75. The Tek fixture will be much wider and has 8 bulbs. The Sunpower only has 6 bulbs and is only 14" wide but it has better PAR readings than Teks.

Tek is wider and has 8 bulbs and will provide more coverage but that's also two more bulbs to replace/maintain and burning extra electricity. Just trying to talk myself in the Sunpower I think. I know that this fixture has been out and has proven results. The Tek Elite is "supposed" to be the $hit but it hasn't been released yet and who knows what kinks it might have.

Do we think the Sunpower 6x54 will be enough for my future tank?

Do we think the Sunpower 6x54 will be enough for my future tank?

Yes but you may need to be a little creative on where you place the corals.Of course the ends will be darker.

Why the Sunpower and not the ATI powermodule?Cost?You do know they come in 60'' fixtures too,right.

ATI makes awesome lights but in this case I believe the Tek Elites are the better choice.The reflectors may not be as good but the extra two bulbs and active cooling makes up for it and then some.The cooler the bulb runs the better PAR according to the test that has been done on T5 bulbs.I don't think you will have any problems with the Elites,there basically the current Tek fixtures with cooling fans.

My current tank is 48". I want to just buy one fixture to work on both tanks. So buying a 60" won't work. The powermodules are an extra $350 or so. I know they are re-doing the reflectors in the Teks. They were supposed to be out by now but they got held up on the reflector material.

You were going to hang the lights,right?Why wouldn't a 60'' fixture work?So it hangs 6'' further out on each end on 75 gallon.At least when you do move to 115 it will be perfect.

You were going to hang the lights,right?Why wouldn't a 60'' fixture work?So it hangs 6'' further out on each end on 75 gallon.At least when you do move to 115 it will be perfect.
+1 I have to agree. If you're going to upgrade, upgrade once. This way you wont be fighting your tank looking for light in the future either. JMO.:Cheers:

Back