Tanked's 125 build thread

I don't have teeth on the fuge baffle... I used glass dividers, so is there a way to glue some teeth on there or somethin?

I wonder if the teeth matter. We did the teeth just cuz the examples I saw had them. But it might not be necessary. I think it had to do with helping keeping snails in by putting a cover on top and the teeth give the water a way out? I'm not sure. If anything, might be good because it will really give your pods plenty of opportunity to pour out into the return.

You could cut a piece of egg crate to size and silicone it on top of the glass baffle. Silicone the top of it to the rim of the tank.

good point about the egg crate. I'll silicone that in tonight, after I move the sump into the stand.

I love that graphic of the sump RC, thanks :)

RC, do you use a filter sponge thing attached to your pump? I've got one that came with the pump, and I was thinking that might also help with any sump-bubbles...

the filters can help some with the bubbles, but remember that it will also be a nitrate factory once it gets good and gunked up... if you clean it regularly its ok, but i dont care for the idea cause i'm really bad at remembering to do things like that...

Yeah, mine came with a sponge and I use it. While the tank cycles, I am cleaning it daily. I'm sure I'll slow down after it gets settled in and the skimmer takes off. I'll probably end up cleaning it twice a week or maybe once a week if it's not to dirty. I just don't want it to become a nitrate factory as Project5k pointed out. What I'll probably do is leave it in there for a week at a time and clean it in the old tank water while I'm doing water changes.

I've never done a sump before, so this is really a learning experience for me too. :Cheers: I'm just doing what feels right. I've tried to work on the sump layout and pipe sizing a lot. I needed it to be 100% functional and as few PVC fittings as possible because they are expensive.

All right, so I've glued some plumbing in, and I need to be done with the rest of it by Friday because I ordered a whole lot of live rock. :) My question for you guys is, how long do I have to let the pvc plumbing dry/cure before I do a water test?

10 min? i'm sure that the glue container sais 2 hours for full pressure test... but if your just doing drains, then after 10-15 min its set good enough.

my only suggestion is to rinse out the plumbing if you can before putting it into active service... just incase, know what i mean?

no seriously, if you cant you cant, i was just thinking that if you could take like a cup of RODI water and pour it into the plumbing, it might rinse out any nastys..

oh no, nothing like that, its just a thought, really, just one of thoes things that you could do that might help prevent dirt or whatever is in the fittings and pipes, from getting in the system..

Actually,you do want to leak test it.So why not fill it up with tap and check for leaks?That'll also rinse out the PVC.Then just drain,refill with RO/DI and get the salt mixing.

Ok, if I can use tapwater, that's not so bad... just run a hose from the kitchen.

assuming I can ever leave work to work on the plumbing in the first place....

thanks for the advice guys :)

Back