TDS Meter and Digital Testers

reefer82

Reefing newb
If those prices are correct, why not buy a controller ? You will get the PH & Temp readings, puls other handy features. then you can get a hand held TDS meter for under $20.

Good point but 300 to 700 on a controller is a tough pill to swallow right now.

You are looking at over $300 just for the three that you linked to above.

There are plenty of brands of TDS meters for less than $20. You don't need to spend $100 on a Hanna one. Just get the calibration fluid with it, and you will be set.

I just got my tds meter for 22 bucks, dr foster blah blah blah, works great, Irun 3 digital thermometers all in different spots, maybe 15 bucks each, cant remember, but all read within .2 degrees, good enough, ph, idk, i only test once in a while, maybe i'm a noob there but my fish always seem happy. Should ph be checked more regularly? 300 is alot of clams Oo

If I have learned what I think I have.. pH doesn't need checked all that often.. it takes something serious to draw the pH out of spec in a reef. I check mine regularly but.. it never does anything but provide me a boring test... same o same o.. every time. TDS meters are cheap.. Digital temp meters with probes are cheap.

If you are like me and are a tech junkie, save your money and get a serious reef tank controller... just my opinion. ... But, I won't because I am having too much fun buying all the little gizmos like PAR probe, (next will be) an electronic salinity meter. Vortech MP 10's, ditital temps, etc.

You're already at ~$300 at the prices listed in your first post. If you're going to spend that, why not spend a little bit more and not only get everything that you've linked above, but also the ability to control your heater, your powerheads, your system pump, your lights, future dosing equipment if its used, and peace of mind with email alerts that you can customize for almost anything? You should easily be able to get set up with one of the controller platforms for $300, and as your time and skill in the hobby improves, you can add on to the controller to meet your needs,

I wasn't going to buy all those Items I listed so I would be spending about 150 - 179 but I didn't know I could get a RKL controller with expansion slots for 200 dollars. If thats the case then yeah its a no brainer I think I will be getting a controller.

I'm a computer tech junkie so do these controllers allow you to log into a remote portal website to manage and Graph all of your parameters or do you have to install the software on each computer that I will use to access the controller?

Many of these (you know this) kinds of devices have a place where you can down load or view the manuals.. that is what I would do if I was a tech junkie, and I am, and do often.

They are web enabled (or at least the Apex is) and you can view the information via anything that has a web browser. From what I understand, it can also be set up to send you an email/text alert based on pretty much anything the controller monitors, such as temp or salinity. You can even get senors that detect floods and alert you accordingly

Apex has built in net access

Reef keeper requires the NET module

Both can be accessed from the web , or an Android / Apple device

Hi tx, .....would that be through the household wireless router.. of if you are plugged into a USB... ?

edit: sorry,...in ref to cell access...

Last edited:
From what I have seen (I'm researching controllers currently) the controller itself needs a hard line to your router. This is one of the things that I'm still trying to figure out, as my tank is on the main floor of my house, and the router is downstairs. I would probably need a 50-75 foot run of ethernet cable to do this, and I don't even know if ethernet cables can be run that distance

Ok so I am old I guess....dont yall remember before wireless routers...I had ethernet cables going all over my house in the attic....All the bedrooms had computers and all needed internet access...I think the longest line I ran was 150ft....Was a pain running the line but it worked. was all good..the boys and I loved playing the original Diablo together...

Ok so I am old I guess....dont yall remember before wireless routers...I had ethernet cables going all over my house in the attic....All the bedrooms had computers and all needed internet access...I think the longest line I ran was 150ft....Was a pain running the line but it worked. was all good..the boys and I loved playing the original Diablo together...

Well, I still ran a Cat-5 to my main system.. it is just much quicker and totally reliable...

I did the same research..... and North, as best I can tell you do need to run a Cat-5 (internet cable) to your router. You will gain reliability out of the deal.

This means if I get one I need to run a 2nd Cat-5.. which I may do anyhow.. because I want to run hard wired security cameras one of these days anyhow and may as well string that beast while I do it.

Last edited:
Back