Temp Out of Control

SonicGT02

Reefing newb
I finally broke down the other week and got a new digital thermometer. It has been telling me that my temp has been staying between 82 & 85! I have my heater set at 72 and it still is staying to high. Yesterday I took the heater out and it was 83.2 this moring, with none of the lights on. What is keeping my temp up so high?:frustrat: I have central air and the house stays around 76. I even put a ziplock bag of ice in the sump last night and it didn't even drop it half a degree. I checked the pumps and they don't feel warm at all. Any hints would be great!

Last edited:
Even though your pumps don't feel warm they still transfer some heat to the water. Like David says if you don't have a fan blowing across your tank you should add one. You'll be surprised at how much it brings your temp down.

I have a Current Outer Orbit unit that sits on supplied legs, but have had it for over 2 yrs now without this problems. I don't know that it is the lighting, but I can turn it off for a day or so and see how that effects it. I'm leaning toward the new thermometer being wrong. I don't know of anything else off hand to check the temp with, but I'll find something.

It may be the digital thermometer like you said...I have a simple $2.00 glass thermometer in my tank that I'll trust over a more expensive thermometer.

I have the Outer Orbit as well. When I was using it with the supplied legs, it went to 82-84F easily even with a big fan blowing on the tank. I usually don't have A/C on in the living room, so the room accumulate heat quite easily.

I use a digital as well as the one you stick on the side.digital at mid level and the stick on at bottom.. what level is your sensor located in the tank top mid's etc.?. but yea Id said either low bat's in themometer or light's

I'm tempted to also think it's a bad thermometer. Get a cheapo glass-alcohol based one to compare before you make any more drastic changes.

If its a coralife digital therm that you paid $8-10 for it's probably bad. +1 everybody get a real glass one to double check it.
Fan blowing across the surface works wonders also, if you find your water still too hot. I wouldn't get too worried unless you get over 84F, or if its swinging more than 4 degrees or so per day.

Seriously, get the fan. My temps were moody as well, and I would see as high as 84 during the day. Same situation as you. I got a 10 dollar fan and within two days I was at 72..Set it on the low setting and it's a constant 76 now.

Just be prepared to add a lot more water. I was surprised at how quickly it goes..and that's without any real lights..

Jag - It is a Coralife thermometer. I'm headed to Walmart to pick up a cheap floating glass thermometer. I left the Halide lights off today and when I got home it is still reading 84.3. I think I'm going to leave all the lights off tomorrow, just to see if it's the lights or not.

Gdbyrd - What fan did you get? Is is for an aquarium? I'm not sure how a fan blowing across the top of the tank will cool things if it isn't the lightings fault. I do not have a closed in hood or anything like that.

A fan will increase air flow across the top of the tank. Increased air flow increases evaporation. Evaporation cools the tank off. It takes energy to change water from a liquid to a vapor. Just like how putting a fan on cools you off.

Brian

Gdbyrd - What fan did you get? Is is for an aquarium?

Wally World has a small clip on fan for around $10 bucks. It does not say anything about aquarium and you find it in the section with all the fans for the house. Any kind of fan will do trust us you'll be surprised how much of a difference a fan blowing across your tank will help the temp. I run an open top and was having problems with my tank temp. The simple $10 fan helps keep my temperature in check.

Back