Temp Out of Control

On topic: I'll have to run to Wally world and pickup a little fan. I bought a glass thermometer and it's reading about 82 to 83 while the Coralife thermometer is reading 8.6. So weird!!

Good to see the glass thermometer is giving you a somewhat better reading. I'm sure the addition of the fan will get you down below 80. Maybe some new batteries will help out the Coralife thermometer. But as much as some of those little batteries cost it may be cheaper to throw it in the trash :D

I use a 9" fan and it cools the tank down tremendously. Any fan is better than no fan, but the bigger the better.

been called that for 31 years now and if I had a nickle for every time someone thinks they are the first one, I would have a larger tank!!!!

I could have gone into more depth about latent heat and stuff like that but I figured he would get the idea:mrgreen:
i feel your pain bj can you imagine how many teddy bears i have gotten over the years? :grumble:Was kinda fun once, we did a skeet shoot using teddy bears was so fun watching the stuffing getting knocked out of them.

see, told you it was that electronic thermometer...

its been so long since the wife.. wait, wrong forum...

screw filiming it, call me up, i'll show up with extra ammo....

Hoping to get a fan or something tomorrow. But what I did do was raise the light up and turn the ceiling fan up to high, to try and help until I get a fan for the tank. This helped as the glass thermometer is now reading 80!!

AMAZING!! This morning I bought a small 4" fan at Wally world and it works wonders! Just like alot of you said it would. I put it on about 9am this morning and by 10am it was down to 76! It has maintained that all day. Even when the halide lights came on. At the moment I have the lighting unit sitting on some unstable things, just to keep it up high enough for the fan.

So I started to search ebay for something better than the fan that I have. Well, I found my solution. There are 4 and 5 fan units that are made for cooling the PS3 that I plan to purchase and use for my tank. They are very thin and not very tall. They are made to plug into a USB port, but you can buy a wall plug that will accept a USB cable. With it being small and black, I think it will look great. Just thought that I would update everyone.

Those PC fans don't push enough air in open area like that. I have a few of them crazy glued together and sat them on the edge of the tank. They works, but not as good as those ugly normal fans.

Those PC fans don't push enough air in open area like that. I have a few of them crazy glued together and sat them on the edge of the tank. They works, but not as good as those ugly normal fans.

That really sucks!!! I was hoping they would! I guess it's back to the drawing board.

I bought an 6" clip on today and it's works just about as well as my PC fans array. I'm still looking for a better solution since my living room gets quite hot right now (and we are only in the lower 80F). I can't imagine when we get to 90-100F weather.

I just ordered a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Vornado-540B-High-Velocity-Personal-Circulator/dp/B000OOJ7DS/ref=pd_sim_k_1"]Vornado clip on[/ame]. I'll let you know how it works out.

That's cheap!! But with those fins so small, it's only good for ventilating. I'm pretty sure it's not gonna work well as fan. But for that price, won't hurt to try.

This was the dual 120mm PC fans setup I had:

fans120mm.jpg

After I found out I lost a lot of light with the light hanging that high, I switched those two 120mm fans with three 80mm fans. Those with the bigger fins too, not the ventilation type like those PS3 ones. Still was not as good as 2 of the 120mm fans.

Wes - Thanks for the pic and your thoughts. I want to try and make it as presentable as possible, as my tank is the first thing you see when you walk into my house. I'm with you in the fact that I don't like lifting the light up and loosing the light. Maybe I'll get 2 of the 5 fan set ups and see how that works. Worse case, I'm be out about $20.

Very true. I'm in the same situation as well. The fish tank is right by my front door. Right now, I have already removed all of the PC fans, both 120mm and 80mm ones. They simply just not good enough, and I've been using those big ugly 12" fans in the last few days. So damn noisy.

Very true. I'm in the same situation as well. The fish tank is right by my front door. Right now, I have already removed all of the PC fans, both 120mm and 80mm ones. They simply just not good enough, and I've been using those big ugly 12" fans in the last few days. So damn noisy.

The 4" fan that I bought at WalMart is extremely quit and all metal construction and was only $7. Maybe I should just buy another one of them and somehow work with them?

Attachments

• P1070368.JPG
    P1070368.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 208
It doesn't look too bad. how did you manage to get it blow on the water?

That picture was taken of it on my tank. I forget sometimes that my tank is different than others, as I have a large lip all the way around my tank for it to sit on.

Biff - how big is the fan you are using and is it moving enough air??

Back