Temp Out of Control

Something that might help with cooling your canopy and still look good.
Install one of those PC fans every 12 inchs in the middle of the hood,running lenght wise ,right above the lights.Have them blowing out the top to exhaust the heat.
Then install 2 more on each side sucking in fresh air.

Biff - how big is the fan you are using and is it moving enough air??

I have two of them, they are small, maybe 8 inches across. Without them, my tank hits 96 degrees. With them, the tank runs around 82 degrees consistently. They are set to the same timer that the lights are on.

Yote - I do not have hood lighting and that is what it sounds like you are talking about. I wouldn't cut holes in a factory metal lighting unit like I have.

Biff - Do you have hood style lighting or do you have a lighting unit like Wes and I do? The reason I ask is because if your fan is 8", I would have to raise the lighing unit 8 or more inches off the normal supplied legs on the unit. I do not want to loose that much light in the tank. Plus, it just wouldn't look good with out a hood.

Can you show us some pics of your set up? That would help us help you

The fans just have to blow fresh air underneath your lights. You shouldnt have to raise your lights just position the fans so most of the air goes under them.

Brian

Biff - Do you have hood style lighting or do you have a lighting unit like Wes and I do? The reason I ask is because if your fan is 8", I would have to raise the lighing unit 8 or more inches off the normal supplied legs on the unit. I do not want to loose that much light in the tank. Plus, it just wouldn't look good with out a hood.

I do not have a hood. My lights hang from the ceiling. They hang about 12 inches above the tank.

You have exactly the same light fixture I have. :)

But the focal length of the reflectors on this fixture is relatively short. I tested it myself. If you hang it just 1 inch higher than 4", you lost 25% of the light. 3-4.2" above the top edge of the edge is the optimal height for this fixture.

I have the 48" 2x250 Halide. I think that I'm going to lower the light back down onto the supplied legs and try to hang the fan that I have on the light fixture somehow. The type of brace on the fan may make it easy for me to figure something out. The brace swings all the way around the fan, which will really help out. I'll have to post a pic after I get something figured out.

Sonic,I've got the same light.I got it hanging 5.5 to 6" above the water,which dropped the water temp by about 5 degrees or so.I also got a fan sitting on the shelf by the tank.That gives it enough air flow to drop the temps on down.My tank sits at 79 to 80 constant.

Sonic,I've got the same light.I got it hanging 5.5 to 6" above the water,which dropped the water temp by about 5 degrees or so.I also got a fan sitting on the shelf by the tank.That gives it enough air flow to drop the temps on down.My tank sits at 79 to 80 constant.

Yote - Do you have yours hanging from the ceiling? I have mine sitting up about 6" over the water now, with the 4" fan and am able to maintain 76 degrees. Either I'm going to have to hang it from the ceiling or build something stable to keep it at this height. I'm sure I can come up with something to mount the fan to the light.

I hung a shelf over the tank,then hung the light fixture from the shelf.Kinda killed 2 birds with one stone.I needed a shelf to keep my test kits and stuff on,but it made a great light hanger too:D
And since I always got a fan going in the bedroom anyhow,I just kida adjusted it blow toward the light.That was enough to help with any heat issues.

Back