Temps at 88*

Shane1

Reefing newb
So I was doing some work around the house today and had my volt meter in my hand which also has a temp probe on it. Well I clean it off and stick the probe in and it reads 88*. The color gauge that is stuck on the side of the tank reads 80*. I tested the probe out to make sure its reading right and it is. I have since opened the feeding hatch on the top of the cube and put some frozen water bottles in and brought the temp down to 80*. I keep my home at 80* as well but I guess the cube lighting is heating things up pretty good. I just installed new fans Sunday so I'm pretty disapointed and cant help but think.....what is the next issue going to be with this hobby!!!?:grumble:

you can get a digital therm or regular therm pretty cheap, I would invest. I like the digitals because most have temperature alarms.

Remember rapid changes in tank temp are worse than too-low or too-high temps. Bring it back down slowly by 3 or 4 degrees a day.

As always thanks for the info and words of encouragement. I have turned the ceiling fan on in the room to see if that helps any.

The further you move along in this hobby, the more and more you'll find that you'll be installing redundancies for your redundancies.

A thermometer to test your thermometer.

A test kit to compare to another test kit.

Double float switches for ATO.

Two refractometers.

etc. :mrgreen:

I have 2 sticky ones and a digital on both of my tanks if they ever disagree I go with the 2 out of 3 LOL

All the heat from power heads, skimmers, lights, etc etc add up to make your tank temp go up.

I agree with Zissou I have at least 2 or 3 of everything.

room temperature can also play a factor in tank temp. If i let my apartment get into the high 70's, my water gets in the low 80s, if i keep my apartment room temp around 70-72, my tank stays around 76-78. Its a pain on the powerbill but at least my livestock are happy :frustrat:

room temperature can also play a factor in tank temp. If i let my apartment get into the high 70's, my water gets in the low 80s, if i keep my apartment room temp around 70-72, my tank stays around 76-78. Its a pain on the powerbill but at least my livestock are happy :frustrat:

Yeah thats what I'm finding out as well. There is no way my house will ever be 70 -72 in the summer time, it would just cost to much money. These little fishys are going to have to be satisfied with 82ish.

You can use an aquarium fan or freeze water bottles and put them in your sump. My tank was at 85 degrees before I got my life-sustaining fan that only cost $30. Now its about 78 degrees.

Back