the 210 gallon in wall project

I just joined the forum and saw youre inwall tank project. I have pics of my 600g inwall tank at daves600gallontank.com. I had a 210 reef tank in the same spot as the 600 but I decided to go bigger. My intentions were to go FOWLR but the economy went bad (self employed) so I went FW. This is not working out (boring) so Im going back to SW. Im saving money for the skimmer and rock and cant wait to get started. I would go as big and as tall as you can because you probably wont do this again.I think youll enjoy looking at the taller tank. I ran the trim down 1 1/2 in on the top and 1 in on the sides. Are you building youre own stand or buying one? I put a raised floor in the fish room to access the top of the tank.so I have no sump, just canister filters. I did run a closed loop to move water in the lower portions of the tank. I hope this helps. Good luck with youre project.

Shoot, that's nothing, couple of 2-by's and some 1/2" ply and you'll be fine...oh, and maybe a nail or two, but I think liquid nails with some duct tape would look a lot cleaner :shock:

you forgot the hot glue....

....So when do the trusses arive? Or do I have to go back and read where you already installed those :lol: ?

no trusses, concrete slab....

I have seen where people put window tint on the back of their tanks. You can't see trough from the front of the tank, but you can from the back.

hmm now thats an interesting idea...

Oscar thats a great idea!
Project5k sorry you didn't get your tank today. I know how much you were looking forward to it. :(

yea, but i'm trying to see the bright side, now i have another week to round up more people, and get some other things done before the tank gets here, like getting my bulkheads in, and doing the floor...

Only 343 pounds I thought you said this was gonna be heavy. So I know I am gonna be on one end of this thing and you and the misses on the other end so what are the other people gonna be doing? Are you sure this is gonna be next Saturday? I will talk to my boss see if I can take the entire day off to help. :D

hehehe yea, just like when we moved the 75 full of sand and water, not fun... actually, i think once the tank is sitting where its gonna go, i'm gonna have a couple hours of plumbing and dorking around, then i'm gonna put eggcrate in the bottom, rock on that, and then sand... that way nothing can shift, and if it does the bottom of the tank is protected...

I just joined the forum and saw youre inwall tank project. I have pics of my 600g inwall tank at daves600gallontank.com. I had a 210 reef tank in the same spot as the 600 but I decided to go bigger. My intentions were to go FOWLR but the economy went bad (self employed) so I went FW. This is not working out (boring) so Im going back to SW. Im saving money for the skimmer and rock and cant wait to get started. I would go as big and as tall as you can because you probably wont do this again.I think youll enjoy looking at the taller tank. I ran the trim down 1 1/2 in on the top and 1 in on the sides. Are you building youre own stand or buying one? I put a raised floor in the fish room to access the top of the tank.so I have no sump, just canister filters. I did run a closed loop to move water in the lower portions of the tank. I hope this helps. Good luck with youre project.

i'll have to go and look at that, and thanks... My plan for my trim right now is to just barely cover enough of the tank to cover the silicone edges and the trim... but we'll see how that looks when i get there...

heres last nights pics...

Attachments

• 2-11-10 001  s.jpg
    2-11-10 001 s.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 549
  • 2-11-10 002  s.jpg
    2-11-10 002 s.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 422
  • 2-11-10 003  s.jpg
    2-11-10 003 s.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 330
Well I was able to change my shift for next week Saturday. Orginally I was suppose to work a 11:30am to 9:30 pm. I now am going to work a 5pm to 3am so if we do this at 10ish I can still be there. I wanted the whole day off but couldn't swing it. Let me know if anything changes.

yea the starfish are gonna be the corners to the trim that will go around the tank in the living room...

ted: i think that should work for now.. i'll keep you up to speed.

Project5k,

Everything looks great. I can't wait to see the tank in the wall. Are those GFCI outlets, I can't really see the picture very well. If so, are they harder to install than a regualr outlet?

They might be GFCI protected, but those are not GFCI outlets. GFCI outlets have the little breaker switches (tranditionally red and black) in the middle. The main difficulty with installing those outlet is making sure they are properly grounded. If they are not grounded, then they do not operate. Plus, the issue is if you place them in a hard to reach area, and one happens to trip, you would have to move everything out of the way so you can reset the outlet.

I would suggest using regular outlets with GFCI protection by use of a GFCI breaker if it is a dedicated line or (the cheaper option) by placing one GFCI plug earlier in the line that is in an accessilbe location which can easily be reset if necessary.

looks good so far ;)

the plug on the left looks as if it is a GFCI which monitors the imbalance of the hot and nuetral. as long as theres no portion traveling along the nuetral shel run just fine.

the plug on the right is a 15/20 combo outlet, meaning it can run up to 20 amps as long as the wireing supplying the recepticle is rated for the 20 amp current load and the breaker as well, also known as a T-Slot recepticle

Last edited:
Project5k,

Everything looks great. I can't wait to see the tank in the wall. Are those GFCI outlets, I can't really see the picture very well. If so, are they harder to install than a regualr outlet?

yes they are, and no they arent. All you gotta do is put a hot leg, a neutral, and a ground to em, same as anything else. the only thing that makes them any harder to work on is that they are just a tad bit larger on the backside of the outlet, meaning that you have to work just a bit harder to push all the wires back into the box, but thats it... also, if you daisy chain your outlets, like say if you come from the breaker, go to the top screws of an outlet, and then come off the bottom screws and go to the next outlet and so on, (not a practice i really recomend) but if you do it, when you come off the bottom of the gfci plug screws and go to the next one, all the ones after it (the gfci) are protected, if that makes any sence...

They might be GFCI protected, but those are not GFCI outlets. GFCI outlets have the little breaker switches (tranditionally red and black) in the middle. The main difficulty with installing those outlet is making sure they are properly grounded. If they are not grounded, then they do not operate. Plus, the issue is if you place them in a hard to reach area, and one happens to trip, you would have to move everything out of the way so you can reset the outlet.

I would suggest using regular outlets with GFCI protection by use of a GFCI breaker if it is a dedicated line or (the cheaper option) by placing one GFCI plug earlier in the line that is in an accessilbe location which can easily be reset if necessary.

yes, yes they are. they do, but in this case, they are not the traditional red and black, these are white, so that they dont stand out and look all ugly. properly grounding an outlet SHOULD be just as easy as hooking up the hot and neutral, if its not, then i would suggest you get some training on the national electric code. IF THEY HAPPEN TO TRIP, then there is something wrong and its doing its job. GFCI breakers are
QO
20 Amp Single Pole Ground Fault Circuit Breaker

Model 52232
$57.72

where as the gfci outlets are:
Leviton®
White 20A GFCI

Model R52-07899-0KW
$14.49

oh, and there are 2 completely dedicated circuits there, 1 20A breaker per plug. I just happen to be one of thoes guys that keeps 4 or 5 extra breakers laying around, just incase one goes weak on me on a sunday night, after the stores close... so, thats a cost i dont have to incur right now...

so, just the cost alone, over $100, or less than $30?

oh, and i also might should mention that my extra load box is on the outside of the house, so, if i did trip a gfci breaker, then i would have to go outside, round the end of the house, in the dark, wake up the dogs, and reset it, and you know its gonna be a cold windy rainy night, OR, i can just reach up and pus a button with my pointy finger... you do the math...

hehehehe dang kid, kinda stuck your whole foot in your mouth on that one... hehehehe just messn with ya tho, k? :mrgreen:

looks good so far ;)

the plug on the left looks as if it is a GFCI which monitors the imbalance of the hot and nuetral. as long as theres no portion traveling along the nuetral shel run just fine.

the plug on the right is a 15/20 combo outlet, meaning it can run up to 20 amps as long as the wireing supplying the recepticle is rated for the 20 amp current load and the breaker as well, also known as a T-Slot recepticle

well, the far left one is a 20A GFCI, and so is the one on the far right, the one that is horozontal in the middle is the 15A outlet that was in this wall, when i tore it apart, i just left it there for a future plan we have...

also, if yall noticed in the previous pictures, i'm using yellow romex, meaning its 12ga, and good for 20A, so why would i use anything less for a breaker or an outlet? Oh, and i probably didnt mention this, but you can ask my wife, we had the conversation about pulling a 220 span into that room, so, go ahead, ask me if i know my nuts from my volts.

Attachments

• 2-13-10 034.jpg
    2-13-10 034.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
in the first pic of your plugs it dosnt look like the right hand side was a gfci, just the wierd angel of the shot i guess and the fact that the camera flash if there was one blurred out the trip and reset buttons on the recepticle. i should have said " it looks like ...." instead of saying is "was"

didnt actualy remember looking at previous pics and seeing you had the yellow jacket romex designating 12ga

Last edited:
hehehehe yea, and i'm having some fun to boot!!!

its cool tread, i'm just pok'n fun to have fun, i'm not really bashing anyone, lord knows i've made enough mistakes, i cant really talk too much about anyone else.. hehehehe

Project 5k,

Nice. Can't wait to see the tank full. If you don't get your tank pretty soon you're going to have to start serving dinner through the cutout in the wall!! :mrgreen:

Its supposed to be in the back of my truck by thursday evening, with a slim chance that it might come in on the wed truck...

yea, tell me about it, that huge hole is really starting to get to me... tho the wife and i had a long conversation over the last few days about putting a new 50 something inch flatscreen on the wall up above the tank and rotating our living room so that the couch faces the tank and tv, not that the tv is on one wall and the tank is on the adjacent one...

its just a thought...

oh, heres what ive been doing for the last couple days, unrelated remodeling, but it was part of the package of getting the 210, so i gotta keep up my end of the deal, ya know?

OH and a buddy of mine came buy a couple days ago and told me that a couple friends of his are gonna be taking down thier 125 and that they were looking for a new home for all thier liverock and fish and stuff, i have yet to get an absolute list, but hell, its FREE ROCK AND FISH!!! hehehe he did tell me that most of the rock was completely covered in hair algae, so, i'll have to do something about that, but hell, its still free....

Attachments

• 2-14-10 001  s.jpg
    2-14-10 001 s.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 263
  • 2-13-10 023  s.jpg
    2-13-10 023 s.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 233
  • 2-13-10 019  s.jpg
    2-13-10 019 s.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 250
  • 2-13-10 016  s.jpg
    2-13-10 016 s.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 276
  • 2-13-10 015  s.jpg
    2-13-10 015 s.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 249
  • 2-14-10 002  s.jpg
    2-14-10 002 s.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 231
  • 2-14-10 005  s.jpg
    2-14-10 005 s.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 259
  • 2-14-10 006  s.jpg
    2-14-10 006 s.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 248
  • 2-14-10 008  s.jpg
    2-14-10 008 s.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 227
  • 2-14-10 010  s.jpg
    2-14-10 010 s.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
hehehehe dang kid, kinda stuck your whole foot in your mouth on that one... hehehehe just messn with ya tho, k? :mrgreen:

well, the far left one is a 20A GFCI, and so is the one on the far right, the one that is horozontal in the middle is the 15A outlet that was in this wall, when i tore it apart, i just left it there for a future plan we have...

also, if yall noticed in the previous pictures, i'm using yellow romex, meaning its 12ga, and good for 20A, so why would i use anything less for a breaker or an outlet? Oh, and i probably didnt mention this, but you can ask my wife, we had the conversation about pulling a 220 span into that room, so, go ahead, ask me if i know my nuts from my volts.

I wasn't saying all that for your benefit it was for the other guy who asking about using GFI's and for anyone else who might not be "electrically inclined"....I know you know your stuff :bowdown:, and yet I'm still surprised that you think no one else in the world could potentially have the same knowledge. You actually re-itterated everything I said 10x over except for the simple fact that I didn't bother to take a closer look at your outlets. You took my two sentences and turned them into 5 paragraphs complete with links and personal anecdotes...relax, and take it slow, simple questions are often sufficed by simple answers like the one I provided. Even if someone actually wanted a FULL explanation, what part of my response would result in my foot getting placed in my mouth, did I say anything wrong except for that I didn't think they "looked" like GFCI outlets?

WHOA remodel! You do great work! It all looks so nice! What is the garage going to be again? A TV above the tank! Man that would be amazing! Would the TV be too high to watch easily though?

You a pretty damn good jack of all trades Project.:mrgreen:
So were waitin till Thursday to get a look at the new tank?

WHOA remodel! You do great work! It all looks so nice! What is the garage going to be again? A TV above the tank! Man that would be amazing! Would the TV be too high to watch easily though?

My inlaws have a 40in about 7-8ft up the wall with their fireplace, as long as the seating is far enough back it would be ok.

Back