The gurgling is driving me nuts.

bigploch

Fan of Water
I don't have a drilled tank and am using an overflow. It was a custom jobbie that came with it. the thing gurgles constantly and it is driving me nuts. I was thinking of upgrading to a CPR CS100 but for $100 I am thinking of other options (I really need more cleaner crew I would rather spend the money on). Any thoughts on how to silence my overflow and is the CPR CS100 quieter?

Hey simpleman, what are parts 3-5 for?
Why can't there just be an adaptor between the main pipe and the bulkhead? Why all the extra parts?

Duh! after reading the question again neither of these will work because he does not have an built in overflow. I was thinking he needed a solution for a drilled tank. I think we need a pic of the custom overflow box that is on the tank.

Hey Big,

I believe Biff uses the CPR overflows.
Make sure you invest in a AQUA LIFTER for it though.
I believe that is the setup she uses and is happy with it.

If you are ambitious and have a non-tempered tank, you could try drilling your tank with overflows from glass-holes.

Not sure of the sound issue with either of these, you should be OK.
I have a siphon on my HOB skimmer and it makes some noise, but it doesn't bother me too much.

Good luck.

you could just put a kitche towel over top of the overflow box. That's what I do to quiet it down

Hey simpleman, what are parts 3-5 for?
Why can't there just be an adaptor between the main pipe and the bulkhead? Why all the extra parts?

3-5 are so that you can use a threaded bulkhead(best way) and knock the stand pipe down from 2" to 1.5" for the bulkhead. Will help prevent cavitation(gurgleing)

i dont know i just added a ton of water to my tanks over flow filled up to the top so the water couldnt fall anymore it just went through. my oceanic is suppose to be 29 gallons but i have it 31 gallons

Hey Big,

I believe Biff uses the CPR overflows.
Make sure you invest in a AQUA LIFTER for it though.
I believe that is the setup she uses and is happy with it.

If you are ambitious and have a non-tempered tank, you could try drilling your tank with overflows from glass-holes.

Not sure of the sound issue with either of these, you should be OK.
I have a siphon on my HOB skimmer and it makes some noise, but it doesn't bother me too much.

Good luck.

I used to use a CPR overflow w/ AquaLifter on my old 55 gallon tank. Since I got my 240, I haven't, since it was drilled. But yes, I recommend the CPR overflow boxes; mine always worked well.

The gurgling is the line going to your sump starving for air. The fix is to drop a vent tube down the pipe to a level that eliminates the condition or redo the piping by adding a vent pipe.

I had the same issue with my overflow and I figured that it was b/c my overflow box didn't let enough water in so what i did was drill a few holes in it to increase the flow. I no longer have any noise.

I used to use a CPR overflow w/ AquaLifter on my old 55 gallon tank. Since I got my 240, I haven't, since it was drilled. But yes, I recommend the CPR overflow boxes; mine always worked well.

Biff,
Could you hear the overflow run? Was the water splashing into the bottom or was it quiet?

Biff,
Could you hear the overflow run? Was the water splashing into the bottom or was it quiet?

Also is the Aqualifter pump necessary? Can I drop the air hose down to the sump creating a siphon? I have an Aqua Clear 5o with the air nipple on top. Can I just connect the airhose to that?

I made a durso stand pipe for my old overflow box. If yours has a strainer and you don't want to cut it out just get the pvc to fit over the top of the strainer. Then I drilled a hole in the top og the cap just big enough to fit a piece of airline tube into it. Then you can adjust the tube tube by pulling it in and out for the amount of air. The air hose should be 10' or shorter.

Back