The Twins--180

andersoned14

Reefing newb
Well, since I just ordered the tanks today, I thought I would start the build thread. What I am looking at doing is to have two 180 side by side. Hopeing they will look like one long 12 ft tank. I am going to run them seperate because one will house my puffer and trigger and an angel along with other smaller fish, or anything else that I might come up with that is "non-reef safe". The other tank will have my corals in it along with a few tangs. Progress right now is slow as I am building the stand and will be staining the "skin" this weekend. My wife has always wanted a in wall tank but our house is not laid out in a way to have one. So we are going to go with the next best thing--a wall tank. The two tanks are going to be place between out main support beams in the rec room, some what creating a wall between the bar and our tv area. They will be viewed from both sides so there will be two 12ft veiwing panels. I only have the one pic for now as not much but the planning has taken place so far. Hopefully by Aug I will have the FOWLR tank moved over then end of Aug the reef will move over.
b005ea64.jpg

sorry for the bad pic but I took it only to ask Northstar a question, but that is all I have for now.

so today I finished roughing in the two stands. I took a few pics for those that are intrested.
from
97a0be77.jpg
the stairs (you can see the 90 along the back wall)
from the tv area
d66ec1a0.jpg

looking down the sump area Got enough room!!
e9fde2ef.jpg

small progress report for today. I got two of the four panels stained. Still need to stain the other two then clear coat them. but gives you an idea of what color we are looking at.
f5fffd35.jpg

So are they going to share the same water and sump or be completely separate?
I am going to keep them seperate. I think with the puffer in the FOWLR tank, I feel that water quailty would not be the greatest. Maybe down the road if the "kids" get over the like for puffers I might join them together through a common sump, but for now seperate IMO is the way to go.

Really looking forward to this build! :D
PS, Would love to know more about your stand since im hopefully building one for my upcoming 125 this weekend! :p

PS, Would love to know more about your stand since im hopefully building one for my upcoming 125 this weekend! :razz:
I guess what would you want to know I could go on for pages I suppose and never hit what you are looking for? I don't have too many more pics then the ones I have already posted. And I am by no means a carpenter. I was looking through the net at custums and copied what I seen there to fit my tanks.

hahaha anderson, thats the best post ive seen, Sometimes be specific because people who diy have way too much information to share :P

Btw, that tank is going to be amazing, probably one of the coolest ideas to have FO and reef side by side. The only other way to do it is with a divider, but this will be easier to manage :D

Stands look great as well!

Thanks Matt you are on the list of people to call. Do you still have the dollie to move the tanks downstairs? And when the time comes for filling would you have a water holding container I could use for a week?

Back