Tightening Your Bulkheads

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
So I am installing new bulkheads and my old ones came with clear rubber washer and the new ones have thicker yet softer black rubber ones.

I hand tightened them the same as the others yet the still slide around with some but not a ton of effort. The other ones were more solid feeling.

SHould I be worried or do bulkheads normally twist when you turn the PVC.

Haha easier said than done.

I was just one tiny tiny droplet an hour of a leak from not even dealing with this mess.

Without my canopy lights on due to needing to have them off to work I get a reflection using my flashlight.

I had read about even little nothing particles causing leaks so I can't really see well.

SO I took out the return because it is not glued at all so I can take even the bulkhead out.

This way I could get a better view of the water flowing into the tanks bulkhead.

No luck seeing anything so what I did was removed the thin nut that holds it on and pulled it up as far as I could and tried to move the seal around. I couldn't rinse it out because I had no help nor could I catch all the water. It is late and people are sleeping nearby.

Well I ended up re-tightening it till my had got a blister(from tightening and loosening 8000 times) and this time it had a tiny droplet so I got out a flathead and wrench and took a chance of waking people up and turned it like an 1/8 to a 1/4 more and no leak.

By the way I slapped the lights back on an there is something between the glass and o Ring but it is like white and thin.

Right now I just have the sump hooked up(Aqueon Proflex 2) and a Mag 9.5 water pump with 2 Aqueon Circulation Pumps Model 950. They are a new product seen here - Aqueon Circulation Pumps | Power Heads | PetSolutions

They work great and you really or actually I don't even hear them.

So I just have regular tap water running to do leak checks but the truth is that when I do the salt I am going to put another new set of bulkheads in. This way the seals a fresh again and I will scrub the glass in there. I never really did and when I started leak check there was a ton of crud that I scraped floating around that I missed with the vac the 3 times I filled and drained.

The socks in the sump are kind of dirty as is now after 2 days of running.

I am actually happy with the way it looks hooked up. I did a pretty clean install and put the valve up in the back with those c looking clamps with the screw on top and bottom.

I was like man it looks professional but it has a novice leak haha.

Anyway it is overall silent to me. The loudest sound is the water coming out of the hole in the return PVC to stop it from flooding.

I did take pix but I have not posted them yet but I will.

Thanks for the info I figured that was the case.

If you want, you can run a thin bead of silicone around the inside of each bulkhead. I did that with my tank (even though you are not *supposed* to use any adhesives to keep them in place).

Back