Top Downs

ccCapt

Reef Hacker
I tried a few top down pics. Some came out pretty good I think. A few aren't exactly straight down because of where they are in the tank.

Mike Accardi stag (not exactly straight down)
top-accardi_4-09.jpg

a.prostrata
top-prostrata_4-09.jpg

porites.sp
top-porites_4-09.jpg

a.nana
top-nana_4-09.jpg

Tryee LE TriColor Validia on right, a.suharsonoi on left and a.aspera below
top-validia_4-09.jpg

a.sarmentosa
top-sarmentosa_4-09.jpg

a.tortuosa
top-tort_4-09.jpg

Can you explain the mechanics of taking a top down shot Capt? I love them but I would probably drop my camera in the tank in the process.

turn off all filtration so there is no water movement, put the neckstrap on and hold on tight, or get a lookdown box kinda like this, they are also pretty easy to DIY with some tupperwear

Great shots capt. :Cheers: i really like your clam. been thinking of getting one just dont know if i could keep it alive.:bowdown: are they hard to keep

Can you explain the mechanics of taking a top down shot Capt? I love them but I would probably drop my camera in the tank in the process.
Ryan, I just took a HOB overflow I have and used the part that normally goes in the tank. My camera barely fit inside it. I couldn't reach the zoom and was barely able to reach the shutter button. I left all the pumps on. I just put the overflow box about 2" into the water and took the pics. I couldn't even really see what I was taking pics of....lol

Great shots capt. :Cheers: i really like your clam. been thinking of getting one just dont know if i could keep it alive.:bowdown: are they hard to keep
Maxima's just need very high water quality, strong lighting and the same water parameters you would have for keeping any SPS coral. It builds it's shell like a coral builds it's skeleton.

great pics ccCapt! Love that shot of the clam! I would have a clam if they all looked that vibrant from the front of the tank too......... always seems that top downs are the most appealing view of a clam!

Well I was going to start a new thread, but this has old pics of some of the same corals....so here's some new top downs. ;) I have a new lighting scheme where, starting from left to right, my MH lights come on 1 at a time in 30 min intervals. Some pics are with 1 or 2 MH bulbs on and some are with all on.

top-g-millie_4-10.jpg

top-r-millie_4-10.jpg

top-b-millie_4-10.jpg

top-nana_4-10.jpg

top-r-nasuta_4-10.jpg

top-accardi_4-10.jpg

top-sarmentosa_4-10.jpg

top-cap_4-10.jpg

Thanks. The 1st pic is a green acropora millepora. The 2nd and 3rd are also milleporas. 4th is either acropora nana or acropora validia, 5th is an ATL rainbow nasuta, next is a Mike Accardi Blue stag, 7th is acropora sarmentosa and last is a couple montipora capricornis.

Back