Torch Coral question

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
As some of you know, I've had issues with my tank. These issues seem to be easing a bit. Now I'm concerned about my torch.

When I got it, it was massive. It had 4 large heads. Since then it has grown. It now has 6 heads and until yesterday looked great. It would extend more than 3 inches and looked full of life no matter where it was placed in the tank. (its on the sand) I skipped my weekly water change and moved it slightly to the right this week.

Since then it has changed. The colour is MUCH brighter green but it only extends about an inch on 3 heads and barely any on the other heads. Enough to see that it is very green. Is this a normal stage for it to go through? I sure would hate to lose it.

My water looks great. (All new API and ELOS test kits as of today)

Temp 80.2
pH 8.1
Ammonia 0.0
Nitrite 0.0
Nitrate 0.0
Phosphate >.25
Ca 460
KH 5*
Mg 1200
SG 1.025

I recently, 3 days ago, stopped feeding Rod's and went back to the San Fransisco Bay frozen. I also removed my Phosban reactor and added Chaeto to the sump. I dose Continuum part A and B every other day.

Last edited:
I skipped my weekly due to other advise regarding my Black crap on the sand. Many folks here only do water changes every two weeks and some even once a month. I'm shooting for every 9 days at this point. Something is working as my sand issue is easing.

Any advise about the Torch? Is it pissed at the water ya think? With my water parameters the way they are, I don't think its hurting extending the WC interval. I could be VERY wrong though!

Last edited:
Update:

I left the torch alone and it didn't change at all. Didn't look sickly, just not full extension. So, me being me, I moved it back to the left about 1 1/2" and BOOM! Its at full extension again. Must have something to do with the light or flow. I really can't imagine 1 1/2" could really make that much difference, but I guess it does.

Back