ughhhhh

Kwater

Chill
i have allready asked everyone and there is no explination that has been brought to the surface but i suppose it will not hurt to ask on here too.

my sps do not grow, i have a good understanding of marine aquarium chemestry and it goes aginst everything i know, y wont they grow!!!! they live but they dont grow ( with the ecception of plating montiporas and pocilliporas to some extent ) my glams grow just fine too

Sounds like they are surviving but not thriving, maybe a need for more lighting, like say exposure or height in tank etc, what are you working with? Also im pretty sure there isnt much that they need other than that for growth but id ask someone if there is something that helps stimulate growth.

Just my guess though im no professional.

well i am running a 24/7 light on my refugium and i am running phos guard.

calcium = 110
alkilinity = 8 dkh
ph =8.2
magnesium = 1350 ppm
specific gravity = 1.025 - 1.026
the other parimiters i do not have a test for but i have never had a problem with them before and the heath of the inhabitants has not changed

my fish include 2 chromises, 2 clown fish, convict tang, blue eyed bristle tooth tang, a damsel and a yellow clown goby who just kicks it in the staghorns.
my lights are a 175 watt metal halide 14000 k
water flow is good, enoughf for all of the branches of the colonies to get good flow, i have adjusted water flow carfully

Last edited:
sorry I was not specific enlightened. I only have sps on the left side of my tank and I only have the metal halide on the left side I also have 2 t5 lights on he whole tank

+1 biff, not near enough light.I got 2 150 watt hqi's on my 90 and can't keep 90% of sps's..even at the top of the tank...

hey Kwater, have you ever considered using a Algae scrubber? They produce lots of pods. I m not say this is the answer but mine are growing and their polyps are always extended. I also spot feed every day with Coral Frenzy. I mostly have Acro frags cause I have just started out... since July. My lighting is 6x54watt T5's

I agree with lighting, even a 175 right over them is not going to make them jump and grow. I would suggest investing into a 250w or something a little stronger.

I agree with lighting, even a 175 right over them is not going to make them jump and grow. I would suggest investing into a 250w or something a little stronger.

The single ended 175s have higher PAR outputs then the 250w bulbs.

"For SE bulbs, tanks 18" and shorter it is recommended to use 175. For tanks 18-24” deep 250 watt bulbs are recommended and tanks 24" and over will use 400 watt MH bulbs. I have found most soft and large-polyped-stony corals to do just fine within 5-15 inches from a 175 watt bulb and 10-24 inches from a 400 watt bulb. Most small-polyped-stony corals survive within 5-10 inches from a 175 watt but appear to thrive within 5-15 inches of 250 and 400 watt bulbs."

Thats from..... uhhh MarineDepot probably not the greatest source but still gets the message across.

I agree with Biff and Cathic...I had a 90g before I upgraded...Couldn't get anything to grow..upgraded lights. problem solved...You're asking alot of those Halides to get 3/4 of the way down that tank. The tank is just too deep. I think a pretty easy way to know if you've got powerful enough halides is that when they come on, it should literally look like the sun shining on the tank. There shouldn't be any dim areas the further down you go. You'll also get the light flickering off the rocks..If you don't have that, you need more light.

How old are your bulbs? Maybe that'll help.

Back