Upgraded fixture 10k vs 12k?

Cr1ck37

Reefing newb
I just upgraded to a new AquaticLife T5 4x24w 50/50 bulb fixture and curious about something... my previous Current USA 2 bulb fixture used a 12k white, and the new ones are 10k white. Are the "k" (kelvin?) ratings much of a difference or should I only look at the wattage for light dependent corals, etc?

From my reading the higher the "k" the deeper it will penetrate the water?

Last question would be the bulbs look like they are the same, can I use the 12k from my other fixture and replace one of the 10k bulbs? Or not advisable to mix?

The Kelvin rating is only the color of the bulb. The amount of PAR they produce varies from manufacturer to manufacturer as does their color. A 10K bulb from 1 manufacturer might look white while a 10k from another can look more yellow. The same goes with PAR. A 10k from 1 manufacturer might produce great PAR while another manufacturers bulbs has crappy PAR. I don't use T5's, but from what I've read the Current bulbs aren't the greatest in producing good PAR.

You can't changed wattages. If your fixture is made to run 24w bulbs that's all you can use.

As Capt said, those are not great bulbs by any stretch. You should look into replacing them with the ATI bulbs. They have much better color spectrum, and a greater par value that most if not all the bulbs in their class.

All my bulbs (both fixtures) are actually 24w bulbs. New fixture is "AquaticLife" branded and the other is from Current.

So for light penetration I would need to look at plain wattage and / or total wattage of all bulbs?

I've only used stock bulbs so I don't know how it works if I use another brand, etc...not the same as changing a ceiling light bulb?

If anyone can refer me any recommended bulb manufacturer for my fixture that would be great :)

Wait so..."AquaticLife" branded bulbs are also no good?

I have one of their fixtures, and they as a company have been really good to me as far as repairing mine while out of warranty at no charge. So I find it difficult to talk bad about them. However, when I replace my bulbs, I want the best bulbs I can get, with the best par, and color. That being said, I only use ATI T5 bulbs in my fixtures.

Wow i didn't know there was a wide range of types....blue plus, purple plus, true actinic...etc?

Does it depend on corals? or preference? or?

And any recommendations?

In mine I run 2 True Actincs, 1 Purple Plus, and one Blue Plus. You need to find the color you want to acheive, and go from there. I also am running dual 250MH at 14K, so the T5 bulbs are for coloration of the coral. If you call reefgeek, they will help you out over the phone to determine which bulbs, and what combo would be best for you.

Back