Want to add.

Slimkasey

Reefing newb
So, it's been many months without the coral failures, I want to try again, but I'm apprehensive, I have one LFS, telling me to buy a tank conditioner, then amino acids and stuff and stuff.

So just to begin with very entry level corals, mushrooms or leathers, what should I test my tank for, before I get the sales pitch of a lifetime?

Any other thoughts on what absolute entry level corals I could look for?

What do you have for lights (this will help us better recommend corals)?

And I wouldn't recommend adding any sort of additives to your tank - they just aren't needed if you are doing water changes and using RO/DI water.

If it were the reef capable version, then I think you'd be able to keep most anything under that light; but if its not the reef capable, then you will be limited to things like mushrooms, zoas, and maybe xenia.

This is the reef capable version (there is also an older version that doesn't have the integrated timer:
http://www.marineland.com/sites/marineland/products/Detail.aspx?id=4632

This is the double bright:
LED Aquarium Lighting Double Bright | Energy Efficient Solar and Lunar Settings

This is the single bright:
Single Bright LED Aquarium Lighting | Energy Efficient

With LED, Kelvin doesn't matter so much - it has more to do with PAR. Really only the reef capable version can support corals; the double bright may do okay with low light corals but I don't think the single bright will be able to support anything. I'd double check the fixture to try to find out which version you have. Is there a model number on it anywhere?

Yeah, I think that's probably the best plan. Were those the same lights you were using when you kept having the coral failures before? If so, that completely explains why you weren't able to get them to survive in your tank.

Back