Waterchanging techniques?

Dakwan

Reefing newb
I'm finding doing water changes on a 180 Gallon to be kind of a pain and also very wet and salty..

I'm just siphoning water out of the dt and then siphoning an equal amount new water into the sump...

But i find i'm making a huge mess and was just curious more than anything about how people physically handle their water changes.. hoping to see if people have some clever methods haha

For my 75, I use a pump with a hose attached. I drop the pump into my display and pump the old water into buckets. Then when I'm done I put the pump into my fresh mixed water, and pump it into the display. And wa-la, very little mess

I also use a powerhead with a hose attached. It's easy, fast and clean. I take the water from my sump, then put it back to the same level in the sump.

haha i was gonna write "dennis need not reply"

I'd like to do an automated setup but i'm currently renting and have no garage for water bins like yourself

(2) 32g buckets and a pump...one for the clean water one for the dirty water....make a little cart that will hold the dirty water on wheels so you can push it to wherever you need to empty it. My cart is made out of 2x4's and has...I dump my old water down the toilet.

I use a python vacuum hose (NOT the one that hooks to the sink), vacuum the sand, drain the water. put the new water into the sump....

without rearranging corals and scraping the glass it takes less than 10 minutes. When I first upgraded it was a little overwhelming to do waterchanges, once you get a routine it will go quick.

Where the heck do you find and store 32 gallon buckets!? I've been using big rubber maid bins and they are still a pain

and ugly! really ruining the decor of my dining room... i wish i had a garage :p

edit: Ah! Keg buckets.. i know those.

You can also use plastic Brute trash cans. That's what I use, and I think mine are 34 gallons. You don't need to store them in your garage -- I toss them in my ghetto of a backyard when they are empty! Then drag them back inside when it's time for me to fill them.

You can also use plastic Brute trash cans. That's what I use, and I think mine are 34 gallons. You don't need to store them in your garage -- I toss them in my ghetto of a backyard when they are empty! Then drag them back inside when it's time for me to fill them.

Do you normally have salt water mixed though? I generally have 1 rubbermaid atleast with a heater and power head in it while it ages? I'd like to figure out a solution where i don't have bins of random saltwater sitting out for people to knock over/fall in

I wonder if i can find thinner garbage bins (like 3 feet high with an 18 inch diameter) and sturdy cabinet big enough to stick two of them in..Then i could have tubing permanently run and just have to move around the bins of water

Do you normally have salt water mixed though? I generally have 1 rubbermaid atleast with a heater and power head in it while it ages? I'd like to figure out a solution where i don't have bins of random saltwater sitting out for people to knock over/fall in

I wonder if i can find thinner garbage bins (like 3 feet high with an 18 inch diameter) and sturdy cabinet big enough to stick two of them in..Then i could have tubing permanently run and just have to move around the bins of water
You only need to mix it one day before, it doesn't have to sit out and age for days.

Where the heck do you find and store 32 gallon buckets!? I've been using big rubber maid bins and they are still a pain

and ugly! really ruining the decor of my dining room... i wish i had a garage :p

edit: Ah! Keg buckets.. i know those.

Mine are rubbermaid, basically outdoor trashcans...

D2 posted a link to the guys he bought his barrels from..I'll be they have something..As I recall he was very happy with their service.

Some of you might cringe at this but being in a 1 bed apartment on the 2nd floor kinda complicates things. Especially with 592 sq. Feet of space. I use three 18 gal rubbermaid bins, 2 for saltwater that I make a day or 2 before the water change in the kitchen, and the other - put on two kitchen chairs facing eachother. I siphon out dirty water from the DT and use a 5gal bucket to empty the water into the toilet, usually two bucket loads then I can carry the bin itself. I do that twice, then I use the 5 gal bucket to out in clean saltwater. Start to finish it takes just under 20 minutes to do. Plus the bins I use stack and I just stick them out onto my balcony.

Back