Weird thing in MY TANK

Shadechic23

Reefing newb
Hey,

My name is Stacey. Just got me a 10 gallon tank about a month ago. I got 5 damsels. 2 anemones. Emerald Crab. Sponge crab. an 3 blue leg crabs. When i first got my anemone i notice it had a shell stuck to it. I was like hey maybe i got a free snail. I keep a watch waiting for the anemone to let it go an it did, when i keep a good eye on the tank (the shell that was attached to the anemone) i started to see a worm looking thing come out of it. it dont bother the fish or nuttin. It is very small width but long. Looks like it has fillers as legs. it will go around the shell an it looks like it digs through the sand then go back in an stays there. But i cant find nothing on it an was hoping this would help.

I am very interested to find out what it would be.

Thanks!!!!!

Welcome to the site!

Might be a bristleworm...google it.

I have to point out that 5 fish is waaaay too many fish in a 10g. You should only have 1, MAYBE 2 small fish in there. Did you get the tank already set up? If not, you're in for a tank crash....too many fish too fast is not a good idea. Plus the anemone could crash and nuke everything in the tank. I suggest you take things slower, take those fish and anemone back, and slow down.

Well the damels are small fish so they dont take up much room. Only thinng i have lost is one fish anemone an a crab. I got the anemone out before any nasty stuff started to happen. But it seem like my tank is doing a ok job. just waiting for the cycle to start. They say that damels are fish u can start off with right away

The Crabs are tiny to. an dont take up much room.

I looked up bristle worm and this dont look like one. When i get up to the tank it goes back into its shell.

The THING dont even fit the shell just lives in it.

While putting in live fish to start a cycle works, it's not necessarily the best choice. For starters, it's cruel; you will have the same effect by just putting in a piece of shrimp, or, like me, just tossing in a cube of frozen fish mysis (that's how I cycled my 125g tank). Another thing is that in a 10g, sure, it LOOKS spacious for 5 damsels; doesn't mean it's the best way to stock a tank. Damsels are the devil of the hobby. Damsels here have bullied larger fish to death, including each other. Do a search on here -- just type the word damsels. Most of the posts will show you numerous people saying how much they regretted putting just one damsel in the tank. They become extremely difficult to catch without pulling all your rocks out (which might cause another tank cycle from stirring up the sand). Trust me....they're MEAN.

Doesn't mean you should make them suffer through ammonia spikes. Just making a suggestion. And again, your nem WILL nuke your tank upon their death, killing all those damsels in the process.

Just trying to get you to have a successful tank, so do your research.

It still doesn't matter pics or not!, we are trying to HELP you by leading you in the right direction. It seems like you are paying my fellow reefers no attention. We're are telling you that you are doing thing the wrong way from experience and yet you are still to acknowledge it.
So I guess good luck and hope your POOR innocent fish make it through there cruel living environment.:frustrat:

Oh geez, Shadechic, you got off to an incorrect start with your tank, it happens and we'll def help you correct these issues and have a successful tank, but, not listening to advice now isn't getting you off to an amazing start with this forum. You are not going to find a SINGLE person on this forum that will suppport or agree with you having 5 fish in a 10 gallon tank or cycling a tank with live fish. Period.
I hope you return the damsels, cycle your tank correctly, and do some research to find 1 or 2 fish that can actually thrive in your tank. Look at liveaquaria.com and then nano fish. You can have 1 or 2 of those types of fish AFTER you properly cycle your tank. You'll need a saltwater test kit, look at the liquid api ones on amazon as an example, and you'll have to monitor these levels and your salt levels closely, especially in such a new, small tank.
Trust me, this forum is great and being a part of it is awesome, it pays to do your research and take advice from people who know what they are talking about. Then you can post pictures and have people respond positively instead of just arguing with you. Unless you like arguing for some reason :)

I love arguing!! :lol: Sorry to say, but everyone is correct - your tank is on a fast track to a crash. Never cycle with live fish, you are about five times overstocked, and it is very unlikely that the anemones will survive. Even five minutes of the most basic research would show you that those are not just opinions, but common knowledge in this hobby. Slow down, put on the brakes, reverse and change course if you want a healthy tank and happy animals. There are many "right" ways to do things in this hobby, and only a few ways that are definitely wrong. Do some reading around various reputable sites and see which category your approach is falling under.

I love arguing!! :lol: Sorry to say, but everyone is correct - your tank is on a fast track to a crash. Never cycle with live fish, you are about five times overstocked, and it is very unlikely that the anemones will survive. Even five minutes of the most basic research would show you that those are not just opinions, but common knowledge in this hobby. Slow down, put on the brakes, reverse and change course if you want a healthy tank and happy animals. There are many "right" ways to do things in this hobby, and only a few ways that are definitely wrong. Do some reading around various reputable sites and see which category your approach is falling under.

Its not arguing when you're stating facts :)

Who said i wasn't paying any attention to anyone? An who said i was arguing???

I have tested the level of my water, I have the correct salt level. All i wanted to know was about the Weird Thing that is in my tank.

My levels are:
Ph- 7.8
Ammonia- .50 ppm
No2-2ppm
No3-160ppm

I know the No3 is high, No2, and Ammonia they should be at 0 which is the best for the tank.
I keep record of it an what i do to it

Just because What i have in my tank doesnt mean i dont know about a salt water tank.

Pics of the 'weird thing" would help. If in doubt, take it out.

But back to your tank...you're obviously cycling w/ your damsels. your tank is not done cycling, going by just the Ammonia. That level of ammonia will kill your anemone, which in turn will NUKE your entire tank, killing all your damsels. And if you rush to add more unsuitable fish in a 10g, you will again, kill more fish. We're just trying to help you avoid 1. wasting your money, and 2. hurting more livestock unnecessarily. People here care about their livestock. Maybe to you they're "just fish", but they are living things. Imagine being trapped in a small room w/ noxious fumes. It's the same thing you're doing to your damsels and anemone because of the ammonia. Maybe you KNOW about saltwater, but either you're kidding yourself, or you just don't care what you kill.

Sorry to hear. When you go to the next site, be sure not to tell them how overstocked you are (not that you'd take THAT advice either).

Personally, I don't see why you have issue with the advice given.

If i could return the fish i would but our pet store don't take returned salt water fish. An its like u all don't care what u say to someone on here.
Why u think im taking any advice at all???

An did i say i had any issue??

They way u are putting what u say it totally rude!!!

Maybe to you they're "just fish", but they are living things.
Maybe you KNOW about saltwater, but either you're kidding yourself, or you just don't care what you kill.

I do care.

Back