What do I have to do if I'm forced to use tapwater?

cvcdrk

Reefing newb
My girlfriend doesn't want me spending money on a reverse osmosis filtering system. I refuse to lug 30+ gallons of water from Walmart around...so I'm going to use tap water. The guy at my LFS said that as long as I use water conditioner around here that I should be ok.

Is there anything else I should know? Should I get a phosphate tester in addition to my other testing equipment?

What sorts of things do I have to be weary about with water like this. I figure after the cylce and everything I will be using RO water from Walmart because I'll only be doing about 5 gallon water changes once every five days.

Get a new GF. ;)

Or make 3 separate trips to walmart. Or go buy some 5 gallong jugs and have those filled up at your LFS. It's not that much to ask to start your system off right.

Generally the biggest problem encountered when using tap water is algae problems that cannot be beat. The source of the algae is the water you are putting into your system as tap water often contains high levels of nitrates and phosphates, which is fuel for algae. If the water contains silicates, you will have a diatom problem that won't go away, since diatoms use silicates as their fuel to build their shells, and the tap water provides them with an unlimited fuel source.

Another common problem is heavy metals in the water, especially if your house has copper plumbing. Copper is fatal to inverts even in the smallest concentrations, so some people have found it impossible to keep anything but fish alive when using tap water, since the copper in the water kills corals and inverts.

Another problem is making your own saltwater at home. Marine and reef salts are balanced and meant to be mixed with pure RODI water, not tap water that already contains a lot of stuff in it. Making up your own saltwater at home from tap water can lead to things being out of whack. Probably not a big or common problem, but it happens.

This is probably not what you want to hear, but your girlfriend should know that an RODI unit is one of the most essential pieces of equipment in this hobby. You get out of it what you put in, and if you put garbage in your tank, you get garbage out. Starting off the tank on a good foot with good water is essential. You can do water changes all you want, but if you are using new bad water to replace old bad water, it accomplishes nothing. You can get an RODI unit for around $125 online.

Water conditioner will remove chlorine and chloramine, but will not do anything for the algae-causing nutrients or heavy metals found in tap water.

Phosphate tests are pretty inaccurate. If you have algae problems, the algae will often consume the phosphate as fast as it is produced in your tank, leading to false readings of zero. You can have a terrible phosphate problem but your test kit will tell you the level's at zero, and your algae is growing out of control.

So you say you will be doing 5 gallons water changes every 5 days, and buying that water from Walmart eventually. It's $1 a gallon at Walmart. That's $5 in water every 5 days -- or $30 in water for water changes each month. You will have made up the cost of a $125 RODI unit in a few months. And that doesn't even include the top off water you will be replacing due to evaporation -- which is several additional gallons a week (in the case of my 90 gallons, it lost about 5 gallons a day due to evaporation). I bet you'd have to add in another $10 or so a month for top off water, and then you are spending more at Walmart within a couple months than had you just bought your own RODI unit and made water yourself from the start. It really doesn't pay to buy your water at the store, it's cheaper to make your own.

Last edited:
That doesn't really answer my question. Is water conditioner good to use for tap water and what things do I need to be on the lookout for as my tank cycles and I start adding things?

As I said, this is assuming RO water changes of 5 gallons, once every 5 days which is my plan.

That doesn't really answer my question. Is water conditioner good to use for tap water and what things do I need to be on the lookout for as my tank cycles and I start adding things?

As I said, this is assuming RO water changes of 5 gallons, once every 5 days which is my plan.

Did you read my post? :)

I specifically talked about water conditioner and the main problems you could expect to encounter.

Get a new GF. ;).

HAHA
You can get some really good deals on Craigslist. Install is quick and simple. Just go buy one, the money will be well spent and save you money and frustration in the long run. Both with your tank and your GF. Its much easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

+1 everyone...if you use tap, you'll be coming in here in a couple of months asking us to help you with your algae problem :mrgreen:

Is your gf into the hobby at all? If not, good luck with your cause!

Is your gf into the hobby at all? If not, good luck with your cause!

Yeah, because in this hobby, $125 for an RODI unit is a drop in the bucket. Just wait until you bring home a tiny $50 coral frag, or a $75 fish. And then they die the next day, so you go back to the store and get another one to replace it. :mrgreen: All of us have been there and done that -- learn to lie about prices and hide receipts if your girlfriend is not on board; it's not a cheap hobby!

also if you get a skimmer the water conditioner will mess with it.

Trust us tap water is baaaaaad news, think algae that will never be beaten, delicate fish that wont be able to be kept, and think of the dead coral.

There are usually a lot of phosphates in the water because its fine for us to drink. And if you live near farms, there will be a hell of alot more!

And if you live in the city, the amount of chemicals used is shocking (i live in sydney with the tar ponds and my water is hard as a rock) not to mention the copper and lead pipes the water runs through.

If its worth doing its worth doing right. Especially in this hobby, it is VERY unforgiving.

Show her this picture

3793800933_7888ae2afc.jpg

This is what problem algae looks like and unless she wants to pick up algae farming, you need to get RO/Di water

I am begging you not to use tap water. I ignored everything I read, thought I was special and different and did my 14 gallon biocube with tapwater and conditioner and battled constant algae issues.
For my 60 gallon I used r/o water from the LFS for start up and subsequent water changes and r/o water from walmart for top offs and the difference is amazing! Never a problem. And honey, if I can do it and lug all that around, you can too.
About 4 months ago I got lazy and used tap water and conditioner and salt for a 10 gallon water change. I had a cyano algae outbreak right after which I blame on this. I'll never use tap water or conditioner again. That conditioner should be pulled off the market in my opinion.
Water quality is THE MOST IMPORTANT thing in this hobby. Period.

Yeah, because in this hobby, $125 for an RODI unit is a drop in the bucket. Just wait until you bring home a tiny $50 coral frag, or a $75 fish. And then they die the next day, so you go back to the store and get another one to replace it. :mrgreen: All of us have been there and done that -- learn to lie about prices and hide receipts if your girlfriend is not on board; it's not a cheap hobby!
Hahaha! Oh the hiding of receipts and creative lying! It should be an olympic event, I have vaulted over a stool to grab a flame angel receipt off the counter when I heard my husbands' truck in the drive. It deserved a medal. Great landing. I can understand not wanting to foot the money for the r/o unit right away, as time goes by it will get easier and easier for you to part with money for your tank. We've all been there. We just don't want you to have regrets cause using tap water is one mistake that will keep biting you inthe butt.

ahahaha i could picture your epic leap

My boyfriend loves salt too so im lucky. However we arent allowed to tell his mom how much we spent. We tell her the total is 500, even though thats how much we spent on rock lol

I am begging you not to use tap water. I ignored everything I read, thought I was special and different and did my 14 gallon biocube with tapwater and conditioner and battled constant algae issues.

We see this all the time on this site -- people start their tanks with tap water, they have really bad algae problems, get frustrated and are ready to throw in the towel, and it takes them 6+ months of water changes with RODI water to get the tank into a condition where they are happy with it. Algae problems can seemingly come out of nowhere overnight, but they take a loooong time to fix.

Back