What do YOU feed your corals?

Sir Alex

Dragon the eel (below)
I was wondering what everyone feeds their zoanthids, LPS, and SPS corals... Feeding may not be necessary but I need to get these things growing...

I've been feeding my acans and candy cane chopped shrimp every other night lately, and they grab it and eat it. But I don't think this would work for the zoas and sps.

I got some phyto-feast today and tried to spot feed the corals with it but it seemed really thick and only seemed to agitate them. I was reading some stuff online and it said to dose it instead of spot feed it. Seems a little inefficient...

And I also got a clam today which probably isn't much more than 3"-4" long. In fact that's how I ended up with the phyto-feast. The LFS owner said I needed it to feed the clam. But, again, how exactly do I use this stuff? :?

I feed them the same stuff I feed my fish -- a mix of frozen food, cyclopeeze and Rod's Food.

You shouldn't have to feed the clam. I have never fed any of my clams.

Spot feedings of Oyster Feast and Roti Feast seem to work well for me. I also use Phyto Feast, right to the power heads. Arcti Pods can also help with color and growth.

Last edited:
I spot feed microvert, chromaplex, and frozen/refrigerated mysis.Everything except my ornery xenia is growing like crazy. Well, the xenia and the favia. But favia are slow growers anyway, and it's growing a little bit.

I have been mixing zoplan / phytoplan / cyclopeze and feeding once per week. Just picked up some reef chili from BRS, so Im gonna give it a go for a bit.

I, like Biff, feed my corals what I feed my fish (marine cuisine or Rods food). I also mix in a little bit of PhycoPure. I feed every three days. All my corals are doing VERY well.

I feed my bigger Zoa's frozen mysis with a medicine dropper to each poylp. I also dose phyto to my tank for the smaller ones that aren't big enough yet to eat the mysis. Qorks out well for me. I dose phyto every other day. Feed my bigger ones once a day. 1 mysis shrimp per poylp.

Spot feedings of Oyster Feast and Roti Feast seem to work well for me. I also use Phyto Feast, right to the power heads. Arcti Pods can also help with color and growth.

+1 if you are not feeding Rod's Food, these are the best things you can use.

While dosing your tank with Phyto Feast may seem a waste to you, remember that there are many animals in your tank that are filter feeders and they benefit as well from the feeding.

Very good thread, thanks!

I have another question. I read that the skimmer should be shut off for about 2hrs after dosing with Phyto-Feast.

How about the filter sock? will this stuff just end up in the sock? or do you dose right in the DT? or is this stuff so small that it passes right through the sock.

thanks.

I have another question. I read that the skimmer should be shut off for about 2hrs after dosing with Phyto-Feast.

How about the filter sock? will this stuff just end up in the sock? or do you dose right in the DT? or is this stuff so small that it passes right through the sock.

thanks.

It pretty much dissolves, so I think it should pass through filter media.

thanks.

I never shut off my Skimmer. I dose it right into my power heads, let it spread for a second, then shut off my power heads for a few minutes.

Back