What do you guys think of this?

i have never dealt with them so I can't say if they are reliable or not. Seems OK. The rock is dry rock which is alright cause all you need is a one live rock to seed it once it's in your tank and the dry rock will become live rock in no time. Check out Marcorocks.com, I have used them before and the dry rock is excellent. Hope this helps a little.

A cycle can take anywhere between one week to four weeks or maybe more. It all depends on the tank. If you have a lot of live rock with little die off then you will have a faster cycle. You have to consistently check your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels and when ammonia and nitrite are at zero and you have detecable nitrates then you tank has finished cycling. You then do a partial water change and add your fish fish. only add one or two at a time so that you don't cause the tank to re cycle with the new amount of waste that is produced. Hope that helps and isn't too confusing!

Can I put fish in if i have live and dry rock in the tank (after 2 weeks)

The bacteria on your live rock will spread to your dry rock, so your dry rock will become "live rock" over time. In terms of putting fish in, you will need to cure your live rock first (takes a few weeks, there are good articles online for how to cure your rock, just google it), and then you will need to cycle your tank (lots of threads here, and check out the "articles" section of the site). Once cycled and all of your levels (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates) reach 0, then you can add your first fish. You should only add 1 fish every 3-4 weeks though to give time for the bacteria on your rock to grow to sufficient levels to handle the extra waste (bioload) produced by your fish. Adding too many fish too fast will result in high ammonia levels because there won't be enough bacteria to handle the waste - leading to sickness and likely death for your fish. As they say, your running a marathon setting up a salt water tank, so go slow, one step at a time! Good luck!

That's actually great advice! Thanks a lot, I'll keep you guys up to date with my testing on the water and when the cycle is done

Btw how long can I keep rocks in my tank with out a light over my tank? I don't have the money for both just yet

Last edited:
I used Reefrocks.net for my rock in my tank and I love it. I rinsed it off to get the dust off and put it in the tank. Beautiful pieces. Give Steve (owner) a call and tell him what you want. He will work with you and give you what you want. Tell him Justin sent ya and he'll give ya deal!!!

Back