What does everyone do in regards to power management?

Zissou

What about my dynamite?
Pop quiz hotshots! You have lights, skimmers, pumps and powerheads, enough to power half a city, and only a powerstrip to plug it all in, what do you do?

keanu_reeves_speed_film_movie_cop.jpg

All kidding aside, there's GFCI outlets, power strips, battery backups and god knows what, so what do you do to manage it all? Can't be as simple as plugging everything into a powerstrip, so, lay it on the table! :helm2:

It was as simple as plugging everything into a powerstrip... Until the powerstrip and outlet were getting so hot that the plastic coating was melting and it was too hot for me to handle with my bare hands!

So now I have everything split between two powerstrips :D. I don't have any backup. If the power goes out, a healthy tank should be fine for a day or two.

I'm using two outlets and three very good powerstrips/surge protectors.Don't use the cheapo kind.As far as power outages,I keep a backup generator just in case.

yeah, you're ok with a good quality powerstrip. all the little pumps and powerheads really don't draw that much. and the outlet in you're house should be good for 15 amps per leg.

I use a powerstrip with GFCI protection for most of the pumps, heater and the powerhead in my mixing bucket . I got too many pumps on my system.

I use a Coralife dual outlet timer for my tank light, refugium light and a couple pumps that have those hydor roatating thingies.

Pretty simple. No battery/generator back up. If the power goes down--I guess they die. :sniffles:

I was told that it was wise to keep your circulation (pumps) and other things (lights) seperate from each other, and keep them each on their own circuit. That way if your lights happen to trip the breaker, your pumps will continue to run and you won't come home to a dead tank.

Back