what kind of fish do u have in your 10 gal?

Cheeser

I Love Reefer
im still debating on what fish i wanna add to my ten.
right now i got some polyps growing and a small yellowtail damsel that i needed to get out of my 55. ill probably take him to a lfs.
i was thinking about going with a goby...ive seen some people have a mandarin in there 10.
isnt a ten to small for a mandarin?
could i do maybe a couple of chromis?

It is too small, but if they have a mandarin that eats frozen and that they feed often during the day, plus if they have a fuge w/ pods in it, then it's possible. But it's not for everyone. But what I want to know is if you know is how their mandarins look like -- if they're skinny or whatever, and how long they've had them.

i dont know how long they had them but they look good. . would an aquaclear 70 filled with live rock rubble be a good place to try and keep copepods?

i have a citron clown goby, you have to make sure they will eat though. Mine eats frozen, these kent pod things i feed to the scooter blenny, and the odd time flakes.

also he is a 5 gallon, which might be a bit small.

Ive had my mandarin for maybe a month now. He eats frozen like a champ and is pretty plump. He is doing great so far for me and I foresee having him for a long time.

I also have a hi fin red banded goby and a hectors goby in mine. I don't recommend having three fish unless you are diligent about maintenance on your tank tho.

I have a tank-raised occ clown. Shes ding fantastic, gobbles up every night and her colours are getting better.

I tried a spotted sleeper goby but lost the feller after a couple days...not sure why, though... :(

Next is going to be another go at a sleeper, a yellow clown goby or a mandarin. Dunno yet.

Yeah, we had intentions of moving him when the time came. Oh well...probably leaning towards a Yellow Clown or the Mandarin next, but not for about 4-6 weeks.

The female will be much bigger and darker than the male. The best way to get a breeding pair is to buy ones that are known breeders. It can take clowns years to pair up and start breeding.

ok...i heard that firefish gobies make good breeders also. is that true?
how can i tell male or female between firefish?

I havent heard of firefish breeding, and Im not sure why you want a breeding pair. It is super hard to raise the fry. You should thoroughly check that out before you pay the money for a breeding pair of anything.

Concerning the mandarin -

I thought I'd put one in my 30 gal, because this one was tankraised - handraised, really - and would eat from an eyedropper in my hand. Despite all my rules about 'The tank is the pet, not any particular creature in it" and 'fish loss is inevitable' I got very attached to my little mandarin. Every morning before work I fed him, and every evening too, PLUS keeping a rediculously expensive amount of copepods in the refugium and in the tank itself and cycling bacteria to up the level of sand-food. One morning he did not seem to respond to the dropper; I think I fed him before he was out of his mucus sleeping bag. In fact, I think I choked him by getting the food into his gills. That evening he was missing, and I disassembled tthe tank to find him lying dead in one of the caves, with his hummingbird-like side fins folded over his belly, looking so little like a dead fish and so much like a dead puppy or baby that I was actually reduced to tears.

I spent hundreds of dollars in the two months I kept him, between the price of a tank-raised mandarin and the price of all the copepods (which all the other fish eat more quickly than a mandarin can get to them) and the time and the misery . . .

I wouldn't recommend doing that to yourself, Cheeser. They are too special a creature to take on the one chance in 20 it will live 6 months. In a really big, established reef tank where they can live naturally on clumps of substrate bacteria and zooplankton, I'd make one the prize of my tank. But in a little tank, artificially fed - it's too depressing. Sorry.

Concerning the mandarin -

I thought I'd put one in my 30 gal, because this one was tankraised - handraised, really - and would eat from an eyedropper in my hand. Despite all my rules about 'The tank is the pet, not any particular creature in it" and 'fish loss is inevitable' I got very attached to my little mandarin. Every morning before work I fed him, and every evening too, PLUS keeping a rediculously expensive amount of copepods in the refugium and in the tank itself and cycling bacteria to up the level of sand-food. One morning he did not seem to respond to the dropper; I think I fed him before he was out of his mucus sleeping bag. In fact, I think I choked him by getting the food into his gills. That evening he was missing, and I disassembled tthe tank to find him lying dead in one of the caves, with his hummingbird-like side fins folded over his belly, looking so little like a dead fish and so much like a dead puppy or baby that I was actually reduced to tears.

I spent hundreds of dollars in the two months I kept him, between the price of a tank-raised mandarin and the price of all the copepods (which all the other fish eat more quickly than a mandarin can get to them) and the time and the misery . . .

I wouldn't recommend doing that to yourself, Cheeser. They are too special a creature to take on the one chance in 20 it will live 6 months. In a really big, established reef tank where they can live naturally on clumps of substrate bacteria and zooplankton, I'd make one the prize of my tank. But in a little tank, artificially fed - it's too depressing. Sorry.

It is physically impossible for a fish to choke...

What about a Goby/ Shrimp pair?
pair.jpg

pairtwo.jpg

Back