what kind of fish do u have in your 10 gal?

About these nano-fish, due to their small size would I be able to push the stock limit on my 20gal. with these little guys? I have a clown and a firefish in my tank which has been running for almost a year now. With my current livestock I haven't had any parameter issues either if that helps at all.

I would looove to add more life to my tank. If not I'll just stick to adding more inverts :D

I think you could keep 3 small fish in a 20. But just because they are suited for nanos doesn't mean you can keep more of them in there.

Concerning the mandarin -

I thought I'd put one in my 30 gal, because this one was tankraised - handraised, really - and would eat from an eyedropper in my hand. Despite all my rules about 'The tank is the pet, not any particular creature in it" and 'fish loss is inevitable' I got very attached to my little mandarin. Every morning before work I fed him, and every evening too, PLUS keeping a rediculously expensive amount of copepods in the refugium and in the tank itself and cycling bacteria to up the level of sand-food. One morning he did not seem to respond to the dropper; I think I fed him before he was out of his mucus sleeping bag. In fact, I think I choked him by getting the food into his gills. That evening he was missing, and I disassembled tthe tank to find him lying dead in one of the caves, with his hummingbird-like side fins folded over his belly, looking so little like a dead fish and so much like a dead puppy or baby that I was actually reduced to tears.

I spent hundreds of dollars in the two months I kept him, between the price of a tank-raised mandarin and the price of all the copepods (which all the other fish eat more quickly than a mandarin can get to them) and the time and the misery . . .

I wouldn't recommend doing that to yourself, Cheeser. They are too special a creature to take on the one chance in 20 it will live 6 months. In a really big, established reef tank where they can live naturally on clumps of substrate bacteria and zooplankton, I'd make one the prize of my tank. But in a little tank, artificially fed - it's too depressing. Sorry.

Really, a mucus sleeping bag? :shock:

Maybe that's why my fish all look so tired all the time, my tank is mucus free :bounce:

Back