What to do if anything...

valf

Reefing newb
We started a new tank about 3 1/2 weeks ago. All test parameters are within normal ranges. We started getting green algae on the glass and also the sand. Previously, the stuff on the sand was brown. Coraline is beginning to grow on the live rock. Should we vacuum up the algae and scape it off the glass or just let it go? Should we clean the canister filter or just let it go, too (carbon, foam filters, etc.)? We do have a protein skimmer running and we've been emptying that when needed. Our actinics are on about 10 hrs. day. We just have 6 hermits and 4 snails in the tank. Much thanks from this newbee.

hey,

what are the normal ranges? at 3 1/2 weeks that could be anything. the algae is normal, I would get rid of as much as possible. What do you have in the canister? I would only have carbon and maybe some filter floss at a push or get rid of it entirely. If you do keep carbon in it, clean it out whenever you do a water change. How long are your main lights on for?

I would try to vacuum out as much as possible and run your lights no more than 6-8 hours a day right now. But at this point your tank is just going through a natural cycle. Things will settle down and go away after it is completed.

My test results are:
Temp - 77.7
Salinity - 1.026
Ph - 8.0-8.3
Alk - 3.1
Kh - 8.8
Calcium - 450
Phosphate - 0
Nitrite - 0.01
Nitrate - 2.5
Ammonia - 0
Magnesium - 1500

I have biomax, phosguard and Denitrate and carbon in the canister filter. The algae comes off easily but I hesitate to clean the filter for fear in messing up the cycle. If we vacuum the sand lightly, should we clean the filter afterwards? If the algae is part of the process, I'll put my cleaning wands down but for one who can't stand dirt, this is difficult! But I'll keep my eyes closed and wait for everything to take over on its own if that's what I need to do. Coraline is beginning to spread over the live rock. Would reducing the lighting affect its growth? Thanks for any words of advice.

your nitrite is still testing high. also your tank is only 3 and a half weeks old, your just starting the algae cycle. its normal and every tank goes through it. dont worry

Dustin is right, your cycle is not yet complete, but it's close. Once nitrites get down to zero, you should do a 20% water change or so. Then you can add more cleaners. From then on, the algae should go away on its own eventually, but it usually takes several months. As long as you keep up with water changes and don't use tap water!

I'd lose the phosguard at the very least. We used to use it in the canisters on our grow-out tanks at work and the dKH would plummet. We just figured it was the overcrowding of sps frags but I read this article and stopped using the phosphate removing products in the canisters and the alkalinity began to stabilize noticeably. Here's the article Feature Article.

I'd get rid of the canister filter. It's a nitrate factory. Yes, you ARE going through your cycle right now and nitrates are expected.

But that canister will plague you with nitrates for as long as you have it on the tank. The only way to run a canister is 2 or 3 days at a time-- then clean it out and change all the media. They collect detritus (crap/poop) that should get skimmed out by the skimmer. Once that crap gets trapped in the canister, the nitrogen cycle begins to eat it and break it down, but you WILL NOT EVER be able to stop the canister from producing nitrates. Best thing to do is remove that canister. If it's not there,it can't produce nitrates. Any crap thats caught in it would be better off going through the skimmer so it can't break down in the tank. Crap caught in a canister filter only puts a load on your biological filter. Better to skim the crap out before it ever gets broken down by the beneficial bacteria.

What I don't understand, is how is a sump different from a canister filter? Wouldn't a sump have the exact same collecting properties of a canister filter? I know they make nitrates, but I just don't see how it's different.

A sump usually has a skimmer in one of the compartments.

A canister TRAPS crud. Once the crud is trapped, it will begin to break down via the nitrogen cycle. But a canister ALWAYS has oxygen rich water flowing through it. So the nitrogen cycle breaks the crud down into ammonia, then nitrites and finally nitrates. It CANNOT complete the final step of the process by converting the nitrates into harmless nitrogen gas. That final step requires an oxygen DEPLETED environment (DSB) or some type of macro algae that will absorb it and can then be exported by manually removing the macro algae.

Rather than allow the canister to develop the nitrifying bacteria and run through this whole process that ends up dumping nitrates into your tank......... you have 2 options (IMO)

Option #1 - clean it every 2 or 3 days so that the crud can be removed and the nitrifying bacteria can be killed and thereby prohibit the nitrogen process. This essentially turns your canister into a mechanical filter. Unnecessary and futile IMO. You want a mechanical filter? Put a sponge in the over flow and clean it every couple days.

Option #2 - Don't run the canister 24/7. Simply fill it with carbon and run it for 24-36hrs once a month. Clean in fresh water. Dump the carbon down the garbage disposal. Store dry until next month.

The whole point of the skimmer is to skim the crud (DOC - dissolved organic compounds - poop) out BEFORE it can be broken down by the nitrogen process. End result - no nitrates.

A sump doesn't have any filter components or parts. A sump is simply a second tank that is connected to the main tank. In this second tank, you keep all your equipment. So the sump and canister filter are totally different.

About the only filter in a sump,is like Rc said,the skimmer.Which completely removes the waste from the water before it can break down any further.

Back