What to do with excess water flow???

fyretr7

Reefing newb
Hey guys the skimmer I got with aquarium was a diy by a local aquarium set-up guy.All the pumps for the aquarium came in a box and all but one were froze up.I went to local F/S and asked the guy what size pump I should use for the skimmer.I showed him what I had and he suggested either rio 3100 or a 17 hf.I got a 17 hf but it's just too much water flow for this skimmer.Should I put a ball valve on the outlet and cut back on flow of pump?If I do that will it cause the pump to run hot or ruin it.What I have thought about doing is just putting a tee on the outlet with a ball valve that just empties the excess water back into my sump area.That way I can either adjust the flow rate to the skimmer and have another outlet in case I get something like a U/V sterilizer or something.I was going to put some liverock rubble in bottom of my sump area so will dumping the water back into it disturb it at all or will the extra water movement be beneficial.Aside from just buying a smaller pump I really dont know what to do.The F/S guy said he services 2 aquariums with same skimmer and they work great with the 3100's on em.....................................Dutch

I like the Tee idea with the ball valve. That way you can adjust how much water goes through the skimmer.

+1 Rc
You want to be able to control just how much water the skimmer is getting.But I dont like putting no more back pressure on a pump than I just have to.

Back