What type of lighting to go with

kennyminireef

Reefing newb
Hi all I want to upgrade my lighting system on a 75gal reef tank. right now I have the Coralife Aqualight deluxe power compact, which I found out they are discontinuing. so should I go with a T5 or LED's. Is any one less expensive to run? How many lights would I need? And what brand? I soooo confused!!!!!!

I would definitely stay away from Power Compacts - they're just older technology now. T5 and LED would be a good option for you. If you can afford the initial purchase, I would go with LED. You'll use a bit less power (although not a ton) but you won't have to replace the lights like you would with T5. The initial cost of T5 might be less, but you will have to buy new bulbs every 9 months or so which gets very costly very quickly!

I can't say what is the right decision for you, but I personally have decided to bite the bullet and go with the Al Sol LEDs - expensive, but worth it from what I've read. And I can add more units later when I expand to a larger system. I plan to be in the hobby for a long time so this seems like a good start but won't leave me having to pay for an entire new light fixture down the road since I can just add to it. Also with energy savings both from the fixture itself and not having to run a chiller that you'd need for other light fixtures, or repeatedly having to buy replacement bulbs, I think the upfront costs saves you in the long run. I'd definitely go LED!

For anyone wanting LED's on a budget, you cant go wrong here. I have a kit on order, but I am getting meanwell drivers so I can run with my controller.

Aquarium 72 LEDs Dimmable DIY LED kit with optics

They have many other kits, but this is pleanty for anything you wish to keep in a 75g. Keep in mind you will still need the heatsink(s) so dont forget to order those as well

Back