Whats a good alkalinity to have?

Mattyice008

Reefing newb
Finally got my redsea alkalinity test kit, and I did the test twice.
My results for both came up as
Meq-5 dkh-14

it took exactly 1ml of the titrant.

I'm pretty sure this is really high..unless I'm doing something wrong.
I'm going to go test the water in my other tank to compare

other tank showed meq-3.7 and dkh-10.4

e/ also, what is recommended for bubble tip anemones? And is there a way to lower alkalinity?

Last edited:
You should test some freshly mixed saltwater to make sure you don't have a bad batch, causing your alk to skyrocket. And you also might want to try a different test kit. Sometimes they go bad too. Is it new?

You should test some freshly mixed saltwater to make sure you don't have a bad batch, causing your alk to skyrocket. And you also might want to try a different test kit. Sometimes they go bad too. Is it new?

Brand new, the shipment of salt and the test kit just came in an hour ago.

So what water did you test??? If you tested your new salt you JUST mixed up, you didn't give it a change to fully mix. Have to wait a bit.
If you tested water in your tank from an older batch of salt, that could be it but now we won't know.

So what water did you test??? If you tested your new salt you JUST mixed up, you didn't give it a change to fully mix. Have to wait a bit.
If you tested water in your tank from an older batch of salt, that could be it but now we won't know.

I tested the water that's in the tank now..
I'm making water at the moment though, so I'll get some tonight when its finished and post the alkalinity lvls

Well assuming your new water tests out ok, and assuming you haven't been dosing anything to the tank, you want to lower your alk slowly by doing water changes.

Back