Which Substrate is better

How deep do you want the sandbed?

Both are aragonite base sand so the choice is up to you.If I was going very shallow,1/2-2'',I choose the sugar size.2'' bed or more I would use the larger grain.The smaller the grain the more difficult to keep sand oxygenated.Keep in mine that finer grade sand can get blown around with too much flow too.

Personally,I'd go with the sugar size.It is still a larger grain size then the very fine oolitic sand which is nearly impossible to keep down in high flow systems.

How deep do you want the sandbed?

Both are aragonite base sand so the choice is up to you.If I was going very shallow,1/2-2'',I choose the sugar size.2'' bed or more I would use the larger grain.The smaller the grain the more difficult to keep sand oxygenated.Keep in mine that finer grade sand can get blown around with too much flow too.

Personally,I'd go with the sugar size.It is still a larger grain size then the very fine oolitic sand which is nearly impossible to keep down in high flow systems.

Thank you both. Going to the FS to get it before they close. I'm going to have 1" that's on my double layer of egg crate, and a little more above that. So I'm getting the Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand. Can I use the same stuff for my Deep Sand Bed too? I may be getting rid of the 55gal even before I get it wet for a 110gal that the owner might trade me for the 2 55 gals that I have! :x:

Last edited:
My sand is basically like the seaflor special. It came off the gulf sea floor. lol
Anyway, it's been great. No regrets. And my vortechs STILL blow it around in that front corner.

Sure,you can use either for a DSB.The finer grade doen't need to be as deep if you are looking for NNR(natural nitrate reduction).

My DSB dimmensions are 7" long x 12" wide x 14" deep empty. Using the Seaflor Special how deep should I go? I'd like to leave room for some cheato on top of it.

I believe the seafloor grade needs to be 7'' deep or more if you are wanting NNR.Maybe 2 inches less with sugar size.Personally,your refugium is pretty shallow so I would skip a DSB,4'' of the sugar size may give a little NNR and let the chaeto do the rest is what I would do.

Back