why does my sps always lose it's color

Try only running 2 of the T5's. I seriously think it could be too much lighting. People under estimate the power of T5's. I have a 5 bulb T5 fixture/ individual reflector with all ATI bulbs, and I could not keep shrooms or zoas because of the strong lighting. My Zoa rock was laying on the sand bed and the zoas would grow under the rock, away from the light. I now switched to lower par bulbs and things look a lot better, including my SPS.

Also, how long is your photo period?

Last edited:
When I read most of the sps description on the online stores, they usually say higher the light would give more bright color. As far as I understand, when it's too much light, they would bleach out? So as long as it doesn't bleach out, more light than better? Well, providing, takes a few weeks for it to acclimate to the light little at a time.

I will take little bits and piece':bowdown:s of what all you guys had to post.I really appreciate it guys for all the help.

Thanks again

it's not too much light. don't worry about that ;)

SPS isn't easy... just a fact.

what other type of corals do you have? and how is their coloration?

I am going to suggest going to ebay, search for "refractometer", and buy one. May not have anything to do with your colors now, but at least you'll have much more accurate salinity reads. God speed and good luck

Back