Will old water corode the pipes in my house?

Chris_150G

Reefing newb
I have my tank's water changes set up to make things as easy as possible. Yeah, I'm lazy I know. I have a pvc line that gravity feeds the water out to a bucket. Then the new water is pumped into my refugium from my holding tank. I can either carry the 2-3 (6 gallon) buckets of old water outside which I'd rather not. Or I can take them a very short way to the sink.

But will the salt water corode my pipes? I usually carry it outside. But I also don't like dumping salt water in my yard because someday my girlfriends gonna want to plant foliage out there.

What do you guys do?

I dump the water in my backyard, which is just gravel. That's where the dogs play, so I don't mind if nothing can ever grow back there -- the only stuff that grows there now are weeds. So I dump the saltwater on the weeds.

Theres enough fresh water run through that plumbing to wash any salt on down before it can do any damage.But the pipes are probably PVC to begin with,so theres no worries.
For my old water,It depends on how I feel.Sometimes I carry it outside and pour it in the edge of the yard.Other times,I dump it down the bath tub.

Back