Winnie's 120G Starphire Upgrade!

Hahahaha. I think you're going to regret saying that... :shock:

Really? That is good news. I've read that the diatom bloom is a sign the tank is ready for life. So, do you think I can add the CUC before that...as long as the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate is gone?

On second thought, that's what I did with my biocube....waited for diatoms, added CUC, and they were gone in 2 days tops....was that bad?

No, they are not bad. I was just saying that because they are ugly. Are you going to add anything to start the cycle? Put a bit of fish food or a small piece of shrimp (human food shrimp) in the tank to rot. That will kick start your cycle.

Actually the hubbs bought some cycle accelerator something or other and dosed the tank before I got home the other day, so I don't know what it was..... but the ammonia is completely gone. I haven't tested the water for a few days. I assume the nitrites are spiking right about now.

I have a question...

I plan to break down my biocube and add its live rock to the 120's fuge. However, I've had a bit of cyano problems in the biocube. Obviously I don't want to transfer those issues to the new tank. Can I take the rock out and scrub it, or.....?

When you start emptying out you BC, fill a bucket with some of that tank water and you can scrub the rock in that. Also, if you add a couple of nerite or cerith snails to your fugue, they'll graze on cyano.

Wow, wouldn't like to see the price tag for all that, but thats an amazing set up. Those lights are fricking sweet, the whole set up is really cool. I'm extremely jealous. Cant wait to see it in about a couple of months.

Just a quick update!

Diatoms bloomed about a week and a half ago. Just this sunday, the tank finished its cycle. We did a 50% water change, and started running carbon.

Today we added the CUC, and all of the biocube inhabitants! Yay!

One question....when the diatoms bloomed the water got really hazy. It still is, even though carbon has been running since sunday. Is it just free floating diatoms, or something else? I thought the carbon would have cleared it up, but it didn't.

We added chaeto to the fuge. Maybe this will help clear it up? Any ideas as to what is causing the haziness and what I should do?

I will update pics as soon as I get this fixed! :D
Thanks in advance!

Could you have stirred up the sand when you added the biocube stuff?

Try running a fine particle sponge and see of that clears it up.. Jmo

Thanks koda_dad! We did stir up some sand, but not enough to cause any longterm haziness. The sand cleared up within minutes.

I have been running a pretty thick filter pad since the beginning. It's been trapping alot of gunk, so I change it out every few days.

The haziness showed up a week and a half ago when the diatoms bloomed...

may i ask what all four light units cost? i want to seem them in person

Hey James! They were $375 each. So I payed $1,500 for all four.

Totally worth it! Way less energy cost. I think each runs 60 watts. Plus the bulbs last for something like 10-15 years. I don't they are for sale online, but the LFS here carries them.

Home

Totally worth it! Way less energy cost. I think each runs 60 watts. Plus the bulbs last for something like 10-15 years. I don't they are for sale online, but the LFS here carries them.

Home

how would you compair them to MH lights. do they have them running at the lfs there

Home

Can you dim them to change the coloring of the LEDs? Or is it just one type lighting range?

Back