Winnie's 120G Starphire Upgrade!

:frustrat: GAAAAAAAHHH! :frustrat:

New tang's got ich...

He's been hiding out in his cave all day. I think it would be too stressful to catch him, plus I don't have a hospital tank. So, I'm hoping he can beat it on his own. I did notice him picking at algae on the rocks, so hopefully he keeps eating...

my sailfin battled chronic ick until I got a cleaner shrimp. 2-3 days after that, the ick was gone and has never come back. Plus cleaner shrimp are entertaining to watch. :D

my sailfin battled chronic ick until I got a cleaner shrimp. 2-3 days after that, the ick was gone and has never come back. Plus cleaner shrimp are entertaining to watch. :D

I have two cleaner shrimp. One of them shares the tang's cave. It is really cool to watch!! Hopefully with selcon, garlic, and the shrimps, tang will be good as new in no time!!

Great setup Winnie.

FYI...I buy frags from a guy near me who uses LED's..very similar (if not the same) as Winnies. My setup has (2) 250w MH and (1) 400w MH...his LED's put my MH to shame. His coral grows so fast it's sick.

To give you an example, I purchased a orange cap frag from him. He broke the piece off while I was standing there. The piece was about 6" wide. The reason he was selling it, is because his orange cap was so big that it stretched across the entire tank front to back of a 150g tank, and it was starting to run up the front side of the glass.

6 months later I went back to buy another frag...the orange cap had already grown back to the glass. He has to break it off, because it's blocking the light form his other corals.

He doses coral frenzy and phytomax.

I only dose phytomax...It's the most incredible growth I've ever seen.

Remember this post that I told you about the guy I buy frags from? I was just checking out his blog and I figured I'd forward it over to you...I told you you're gonna love those LEDS. Check out these pics of the growth he gets.

PJR's Reef

Gold-Rim tangs are even more difficult then the Powder Browns.I hope the guy can fight it off.

Nice pics of the fishes.You have my favorite fish,bartletts anthias.It would be nice to have a male in there.

Remember this post that I told you about the guy I buy frags from? I was just checking out his blog and I figured I'd forward it over to you...I told you you're gonna love those LEDS. Check out these pics of the growth he gets.

PJR's Reef

Wow PRC! That guys stuff is amazing! Thanks for the link!

A quick update...

Tang is doing great! He is still eating like a cow, and most of the ichs are gone. I think he's gonna hang in there! :^:

However, my clown pair has ich now too. :grumble: They are still eating and active, so I'm pretty positive they will get over it too.

On a more positive note, Matt and I stopped by the LFS today and picked up some new zoas and a coco worm! :bounce:

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

Sorry for the crappiness of the pics. I need a new camera...

Hey Guys! Yes, a lot has happened since my last post. Life has been super busy. After 6 1/2 years I finally graduated from college!

I am still loving the LEDs! IMO they are the best investment I've made for my tank! The corals are loving them too, and are growing like weeds! In fact, the other week, I tested the calcuim levels (I had never tested calcuim previously), and was shocked to find out the levels were below 20ppm. I think the lights are causing my corals to grow so fast that they are sucking the calcuim out of the water faster than weekly water changes can keep up with. So, just this last Wednesday, I installed a calcium reactor. Im excited to see if this makes a difference. I don't have any recent pics of stuff, but I'll get some soon!

Also, surprisingly, I haven't had any algae issues in the DT. I really expected the lights to contribute to an algae problem. That said, I have been extra careful to prevent algae from growing in the DT. I have been doing larger water changes (12%-15%), running carbon and GFO all the time, and running the T5 over my fuge 24/7. I did have some cyano crop up in the fuge in the beginning, but it never went into the DT. In fact, I had more algae problems in my biocube.

And the ich...GAAAAAHHH! haha! It started with the tang. He didn't last more than a week or so. It killed both my anthias, and my black and white clownfish. :grumble: My other clown got it, but seemed to hang in there, and it never affected my sixline at all. BUT then, I made a rookie mistake. Long story short, in mid-December, my parents came to visit to celebrate my graduation. They hadn't seen our tank before, and instantly realized how cool this hobby is! They insisted on buying me a new fish for a grad gift. I was hesitant, but gave in. So, my mom picked out a flame angel, and brought him home. Next day: ich. I was so frustrated, and was not about to let another fish die, so I pulled all the fish out (sixline, clown, new flame angel), and took them to the LFS for treatment. So now the tank has been fallow for about 4 weeks.

I'm really excited to get my fish back next month, and to it right this time! I got stuff for a QT, and will be quaranteening all fish from now on! Lesson learned!!

Thanks Erin! I graduated with a history degree. I love the history dept. here at Montana State, so I want to go back for grad school.

Its been a while since I've posted pics, so here are a few of some additions!
There are some repeats...I was messing around with the color settings. A few are a little blurry too. My point and shoot sucks! :lol:
IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

And the ich...GAAAAAHHH! haha! It started with the tang. He didn't last more than a week or so. It killed both my anthias, and my black and white clownfish. :grumble: My other clown got it, but seemed to hang in there, and it never affected my sixline at all. BUT then, I made a rookie mistake. Long story short, in mid-December, my parents came to visit to celebrate my graduation. They hadn't seen our tank before, and instantly realized how cool this hobby is! They insisted on buying me a new fish for a grad gift. I was hesitant, but gave in. So, my mom picked out a flame angel, and brought him home. Next day: ich. I was so frustrated, and was not about to let another fish die, so I pulled all the fish out (sixline, clown, new flame angel), and took them to the LFS for treatment. So now the tank has been fallow for about 4 weeks.

I'm really excited to get my fish back next month, and to it right this time! I got stuff for a QT, and will be quaranteening all fish from now on! Lesson learned!!

:shock: I didn't know that ich is so deadly!

It can be, but if the fish are healthy, they usually pull through. I think I just went to fast and they all got stressed.

Actually the two months fallow didn't get rid of the ich in my system. As soon as I added a fish back, he got ich. He pulled through though! I went way slower this time around, and so far they're all happy and healthy!

Looks great!

And im glad that your guys pulled through the ich, but unless your fish were being treated in either copper or hypo while at the LFS then it was still on your fish when you put them back in. Which is why they got ich again.

Back