Winnie's 120G Starphire Upgrade!

how would you compair them to MH lights. do they have them running at the lfs there

I've never actually run MH's myself. My old biocube just had the stock PC bulbs. But, from what I've read, they are just as bright, if not brighter than MHs. Since transferring them from my biocube, my corals have gotten much more vibrant, and they seem to be growing alot faster. I've noticed considerable growth even in the few weeks they've been under the LEDs.

As far as heat, they are alot cooler than MHs. I can touch them even after they've been on all day. Its been great not having the water temp fluctuations like I did in the biocube...even under the PCs.

Yes, the LFS is running them over their coral tank. Although I think its just to show customers what a difference they make compared to the MHs they also have over the coral tank. In other words, the main lights over their coral tank are MHs, with a small section with LEDs.

So far I am LOVING them, but it will be interesting to see how they do in the long-term.

Can you dim them to change the coloring of the LEDs? Or is it just one type lighting range?

Since the white LEDs and the blue actinic LEDs have different power cords, they can be run together (daytime) or separately. Right now I have them set so the blue comes on 1/2 before, and go out 1/2 later than the whites to simulate dusk and dawn.

As far a dimming, no, they just have one type of lighting range....really bright!

Lemme see if I can get a pic of the different light settings. My camera is really crappy, so it may not show up as well as it does in person.

The blue lights are really cool. They make the corals fluoresce like crazy compared to the old biocube actinics.

So here is a pic of both the white and blue LED on.
IMG_0168.jpg

Here a pic of just the blues.
IMG_0164.jpg

Doesn't really give it justice, but it gives an idea of the difference...

do you know what your lfs charges for the modules with the 112 leds insted of the 60 leds. i am getting very intrested in these lights

Thanks James. They are definitely bright! When all the house lights are off at night the tank looks like some sci-fi crazyness is happening in here. They light up the whole room. My neighbors are probably like WTF!! :shock:

I just sent an email to Tanner at the LFS about the specs on those lights. I'll let you know when he gets back to me!

Great setup Winnie.

FYI...I buy frags from a guy near me who uses LED's..very similar (if not the same) as Winnies. My setup has (2) 250w MH and (1) 400w MH...his LED's put my MH to shame. His coral grows so fast it's sick.

To give you an example, I purchased a orange cap frag from him. He broke the piece off while I was standing there. The piece was about 6" wide. The reason he was selling it, is because his orange cap was so big that it stretched across the entire tank front to back of a 150g tank, and it was starting to run up the front side of the glass.

6 months later I went back to buy another frag...the orange cap had already grown back to the glass. He has to break it off, because it's blocking the light form his other corals.

He doses coral frenzy and phytomax.

I only dose phytomax...It's the most incredible growth I've ever seen.

Great setup Winnie.

FYI...I buy frags from a guy near me who uses LED's..very similar (if not the same) as Winnies. My setup has (2) 250w MH and (1) 400w MH...his LED's put my MH to shame. His coral grows so fast it's sick.

To give you an example, I purchased a orange cap frag from him. He broke the piece off while I was standing there. The piece was about 6" wide. The reason he was selling it, is because his orange cap was so big that it stretched across the entire tank front to back of a 150g tank, and it was starting to run up the front side of the glass.

6 months later I went back to buy another frag...the orange cap had already grown back to the glass. He has to break it off, because it's blocking the light form his other corals.

He doses coral frenzy and phytomax.

I only dose phytomax...It's the most incredible growth I've ever seen.

Wow! Thats incredible!!

When I got my branching hammer in June, it already had a few new heads growing on it. In the biocube, I didn't notice any growth on the little tiny heads at all. I put them in the new tank under the LEDs about 2 or 3 weeks ago, and they have already tripled in size!! :mrgreen:

I haven't even been feeding them. I've been trying to get the nitrates to 0, so I'm only feeding the bare minimum to the fish. I tested the water today, and they finally reached 0. Ill do another water change tomorrow, and start feeding the corals this week. It'll be interesting to see the growth after that! :^:

The up-front cost is definitely a bummer. You should still come check out the LFS here still! It's pretty sweet!

Are there any good ones in Billings? I have some friends there, so I make it over there a few times a year.

The up-front cost is definitely a bummer. You should still come check out the LFS here still! It's pretty sweet!

Are there any good ones in Billings? I have some friends there, so I make it over there a few times a year.

yea we have two but one i never go to because they really suck. i go to the heights pet center on main street ron and pattie are great people and very helpfull. and i will have to come up there to check the store out maybe after i go on days off from work i am getting ready to head out to ND for work

Honestly, I probably could have gone with 2x60s. They can probably be turned the oblong way and it would have had the same effect. Are you looking for lights for your 75?

yea for now it is for my 75 but i plan on upgrading to at least a 120 so i was wanting to get at least 2 of the 112 led units and maybe 4 and if i like them i will get more for the tank in my basement that i am wanting to get setup sometime

Back