wontonflip's 125g build

Alas, found some stray voltage (felt some tingling on my fingers when I stuck my fingers in the sump). Found out it was an old heater and an old pump -- unfortunately, it's the pump that I have been using for the fuge. Luckily it did not travel into the dt.

So. Update. In case you didn't see my post, one of my firefish did a suicide out of my tank....actually, I felt the splash on my hand when he did it, but I didn't find him until he was already dead. Seems like Suspect # 1 is now happy of this turn of events, and is now out of his cave most of the time.

I bought egg crates to put over my tank. I also bought some rubble to hold my float switch container down. My ATO is now integrated into my sump.

The big round thing on the top right of the sump is the float switch's container
DSC04916.jpg

My dosing pump (those are the egg crates we bought for the top of the tank)
DSC04917.jpg

My rodi reservoir. To weigh down the airline tube, we drilled a hole in a piece of PVC junction, and slipped it in there halfway. That way it will pull water all the way from the bottom.
DSC04919.jpg

WOW! Nice improvements!! :Cheers:

Can you get a close-up picture of that float switch and pipe that sits in the sump? I need to do something similar.

Ok, after all my going back and forth on what fish to get next....I decided against the chromis. So, I went to my LFS, and naturally, I came home with....3 CHROMIS! lol They didn't have a lot of livestock left, and I was intent on getting more fish. I decided to risk it. My tank's glass is dirty, and they were darting all over the place. So I couldn't get a good shot of all three. I got one shot of one of them (see below), and got a video of them all. Sucky quality, and it was dark, but I know livingreefers always need proof :)

I decided to acclimate them in the sump, so the temperature can also adjust. Their bag is next to the skimmer, clamped down.

DSC04905.jpg

Here they are in their bag...this is the clearest shot I could get LOL
DSC04903.jpg

And here's one..he got separated. I ended up chasing him towards the other 2 :) Now they're inseparable...hopefully they won't fight to the death!
DSC04908.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJqI7mqlpok"]YouTube - New additions -- 3 Chromis[/ame]

Wonton, I love your sump set-up! It's inspiring me for my plans for my 150 upgrade!

How many gallons is that RODI reservoir? Does it itself have an auto top-off?

Thanks :) It's been a fun ride building it (as you can tell from this thread LOL--I don't know what I'll do when it's all done!!)

The RODI is simply a large trash bin...I think it's a 45g, and it's fed by my 3-stage Captive Purity ro/di, no pump on it though. Maybe that's my next project. It's not a high-output ro/di, so it takes overnight just to fill up mabye 30g. Something like that (it took me 2 1/2 days to fill up my 125 w/ ro/di.

What do you mean by "head on"? From where it pours into the DT? It goes through drywall to get to the DT, so the most I can take a pic of is the pipe that comes out through the wall....and a shot of it from the sump room.

Front view:

DSC04921.jpg

Side view:

DSC04922.jpg

View in the sump room:
DSC04594.jpg

I like your Chromis. Let me know how they fair...They're on the top of my livestock list.

You know I will let the livingreefs world know how they do with me :) I'm keeping my fingers crossed!! I'm actually enjoying them a LOT. Got kinda boring in my tank cuz the firefish always hid, the clownfish has hosted my powerhead, and almost never leaves it, and the banggai usually hangs out by the overflow, which is black, and since he's black and silver, he kinda disappears. The chromis are a nice addition so far.

I tossed some food in there, and they gobbled it up, so yay :) :^:

I think you will like your chromis. I loved mine. They were very friendly and would swim into my hand at feeding time.

I think you will like your chromis. I loved mine. They were very friendly and would swim into my hand at feeding time.

Yeah, when I first put them in, if i went anywhere near them, they darted to the other side. But when I fed them a while ago, after that, they aren't as flighty.

I always push it, because its my favorite fish, but I'm going to suggest a foxface at some point - lots of color, personality, and it's out and about in the tank. Plus, it really takes a big bite out of nuisance algae.

What's up with that whiteboard?

Oh, the tank is in our basement, which is also our home office...that back area behind the tank used to be where our desks were, and we just haven't moved the white board.

a foxface at some point - lots of color, personality, and it's out and about in the tank. Plus, it really takes a big bite out of nuisance algae.

I also plan to get a foxface...it will be one of the last ones I get, along with a hippo tang.

I always push it, because its my favorite fish, but I'm going to suggest a foxface at some point - lots of color, personality, and it's out and about in the tank. Plus, it really takes a big bite out of nuisance algae.

I like them too.

Do they eat corals?

I like them too.

Do they eat corals?

Some have been known to nibble on some soft stuff, but I haven't observed it at all. Favorite food seems to be caluerpa, but he won't eat algae sheets. Nothing green and leafy stands a chance in my tank, though - I have zero chance of hair algae, that's for sure.

Nope, when I put my hand in the tank, he even brushes against my arm - I get really afraid of accidentally spooking him and making him sting me, but nothing yet. I think Yote got stung tho!

He doesn't seem to be interested in stinging fish at all...but he is the bigger one in the tank. He'll get all spikey once in a while to scare the Damsel or the Clown off tho.

Back