Yellow Tang Substitute

I think you could even do a pair of clowns if you wanted

Do you know were I can get a tank-bred pair? They don't have a pair on liveaquaria or freshamarine. I think they have a pair of ocellaris at the my LFS but they're probably way over priced. They have crazy pricing there. $7 per pound of live rock!!!

Do you know were I can get a tank-bred pair? They don't have a pair on liveaquaria or freshamarine. I think they have a pair of ocellaris at the my LFS but they're probably way over priced. They have crazy pricing there. $7 per pound of live rock!!!

$7 per pound is average for Live Rock at LFS's. Depending on the type of clown you can see some high pricing of $2-$400 per pair easily. But if you go with pretty common types of clowns (i.e clarkiis) you can find them easily for $40-$50.

Best bet as far as clowns go. Buy a large 1 and a small 1...They are hermaphrodic. the large will turn to a female, the small will stay a male.

Even if they're paired or mated, it's no guarantee that they will spawn in your tank. And, it's very, very difficult to raise clowns from babies, even for veteran reefers. As soon as the fry hatches, they need to be removed form the tank and placed in a separate tank or they will immediately become fish food. Did I mention that they generally hatch in the middle of the night?

That being said, unless you want to attempt to raise a fry, there is really no (IMO) reason to try to find a mating pair of clowns. Just find 2 of different sizes. But the same type.

$7 per pound is average for Live Rock at LFS's. Depending on the type of clown you can see some high pricing of $2-$400 per pair easily. But if you go with pretty common types of clowns (i.e clarkiis) you can find them easily for $40-$50.

Best bet as far as clowns go. Buy a large 1 and a small 1...They are hermaphrodic. the large will turn to a female, the small will stay a male.

Even if they're paired or mated, it's no guarantee that they will spawn in your tank. And, it's very, very difficult to raise clowns from babies, even for veteran reefers. As soon as the fry hatches, they need to be removed form the tank and placed in a separate tank or they will immediately become fish food. Did I mention that they generally hatch in the middle of the night?

That being said, unless you want to attempt to raise a fry, there is really no (IMO) reason to try to find a mating pair of clowns. Just find 2 of different sizes. But the same type.

Ohhh, I fought you could only have two in the same tank if they're a pair.

You mean I could one like this small then a larger one? https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+2124+755&pcatid=755

I wasn't planning on raising frys, I just wanted two clowns that would get along.

EerinCahir said:
I really think you should stick with the maroons. I don't know how much of a fight oscillaris will put up.

Nooooo, defiantly not. I wouldn't put the oscillaris in my tank with the eel, they would be a quick snack. I meant if I turn the 40 gallon unused tank I have into a reef tank I'd like two clowns.

Yeah, just buy 2 clowns..If anybody asks, just say they're mated. Again, jsut make sure if you buy one Occellaris, the other is also.

With any luck, they'll become mated over a period of time. If not, who cares. Still nice fish.

Because petco is pretty damn shifty with there saltwater fish. Also, i know there are exceptions to this, but it seems like most people who buy their saltwater fish from there probably arent going to keep them live long enough to make it to that big.

Back