Yellow Tang Substitute

Sir Alex

Dragon the eel (below)
I was planning on getting a yellow tang but I'm worried that he would get stressed out around my eel and get the ich. What is a good fish about that size and easy to take care of? Not a blue jaw triggerfish because I'm already planing to get one of those.

Yes, i didnt really think about that they need to be added at the same time.

But i think you are going to have hard time finding a fish that he isnt going to eat.

I've heard that triggers can be aggressive towards each other too. Most of them will be aggressive towards other fish. Probably the new fish would out-live the eel since I've had him for 5 years. I'm hoping to get smaller fish eventually.

Every fish will have its own identity .....i have 2 triggers now ,,they are complete opposites ....
what about a nice sized purple tang ??They are known to handle themselves a little better and are thought to be one of the more hardy of tangs,if not the hardiest..

Yes, i didnt really think about that they need to be added at the same time.

But i think you are going to have hard time finding a fish that he isnt going to eat.

Oh sorry, didn't see this. You mean that it's going to be hard to find a fish that's not going to be eaten?

OhNoNemo said:
Every fish has will have its own identity .....i have 2 triggers now ,,they are complete opposites ....
what about a nice sized purple tang ??They are known to handle themselves a little better and are thought to be one of the more hardy of tangs,if not the hardiest..

Hold on, let me do a little research on them.

Just re-read your post,,if the eel is the only thing in there (other than inverts)..,and your worried about ich,then just treat a yellow tang in QT(every fish IMO) ,and you will not have ich to worry about

Oh sorry, didn't see this. You mean that it's going to be hard to find a fish that's not going to be eaten?

Hold on, let me do a little research on them.
Trust me ,,i researched a ton,,,you'll find the clown is supposed to be a mean ass SOB and the humu more calm and fit for a community tank....,but if you take my situation :its just the opposite :mrgreen:

Just re-read your post,,if the eel is the only thing in there (other than inverts)..,and your worried about ich,then just treat a yellow tang in QT(every fish IMO) ,and you will not have ich to worry about

I don't really have a quarantine tank... I looked up the purple tangs. It looks like it would be pretty good except it's a bit pricey. why is the difficulty level rated moderate? And why would it need high lighting?

Another problem with the triggerfish is that most triggers are to big for my tank.

Trust me ,,i researched a ton,,,you'll find the clown is supposed to be a mean ass SOB and the humu more calm and fit for a community tank....,but if you take my situation :its just the opposite :mrgreen:

I've always fought that clown triggers looked awesome but I think my tank's to small...

Edit: Oh, it's the same minimum tank size as the blue jaw... Do they nip on corals?

Last edited:
My QT is a rubbermaid tote from walmart and an old HOB filter....
I have no idea where you read a PT needs high lighting,i just think because its a tang they label it moderate,but its fairly easy to keep IMO (that makes no sense to me:question:) what are your dims??...

EDIT: Coral nipping is not something they normally do,but they scoop up mouthfuls of sand and spit it out all over the place...funny and irritating at the same time,,,any invert you have now will be lunch too.

Last edited:
Of course you'll need a heater for the QT too,but i think we all have 3-4 old ones laying around:lol:

a 5 foot tank is one of those in between ones...i do think its good for a smaller tang and or trigger for a little while though...any plans to ever upgrade?

i do think its good for a smaller tang and or trigger for a little while though...any plans to ever upgrade?

It's quite unlikely that I'll be upgrading any time soon. I realize that the minimum tank size for the blue jaw on liveaquaria.com is 125 gallons but most sites say 75 gallons. On liveaquaria.com it also says 125 gallons minimum for the purple tang.

Nah,,,i actually feed mine hermits on occasion

Um, one of the reasons I like the blue jaw so much is that you can usually keep it with invertebrates. I realize that it's more interesting to have a cool fish then a couple of invertebrates but there's also some pretty cool crabs and stuff out there.

Last edited:
You should trust liveaqauria.com before those other sites. Remember, they are trying to sell you a product, and they will sell more of that product if they change it to tank sizes people have. And then they will make more money when the fish stresses out and dies and you go back and buy another one.

You should trust liveaqauria.com before those other sites. Remember, they are trying to sell you a product, and they will sell more of that product if they change it to tank sizes people have. And then they will make more money when the fish stresses out and dies and you go back and buy another one.

That is true... I read 75 gallons on some sites that weren't selling them but they probably got their information from the other sites. If I can't get a triggerfish then that would suck, big time!!!

Back