Yellow Tang Substitute

Well, sounds like a QT is in the making :Cheers: .....Do you have any floss or something that has been running on your DT?

The 20 gallon tank has a leak in it, but that's no problem since my grandfather has a 30 to 40 gallon tank at his house. Imagine what I could do with a 40 gallon tank. I could make a little reef aquarium!!

I'll probably be able to fix the 20 gallon so I still have a quarantine.

I'm not exactly sure about the angler though. It would probably eat the maroon and get bullied by the eel... Is your angler by it's self or is it with other fish? What kind is it? Now that I know I have a quarantine tank maybe I'll just go with the maroon clown and a yellow tang. Would the clown be aggressive towards the tang?

Last edited:
I'm not exactly sure about the angler though. It would probably eat the maroon and get bullied by the eel... Is your angler by it's self or is it with other fish? What kind is it? Now that I know I have a quarantine tank maybe I'll just go with the maroon clown and a yellow tang. Would the clown be aggressive towards the tang?
It is by itself with a ton of hermits and the occasional damsel ....it is a sargassum angler...
Good luck on what ever you decide.....,but i'd keep an eye on that eel no matter what was put in there:mrgreen:

I'll be going to my LFS today and I'll ask if they can put it on hold. They have two yellow tangs there but they're both like 3" long. I'll just ask them to order a large one, 5"+. I can just let them sell the clown they have then ask them to order a new one when I'm ready. Would I be able to keep the yellow tang in my 30-40 gallon quarantine for a few weeks?

Last edited:
I was on liveaquaria looking at triggerfish and I set it so it would only show the ones who had a minimum tank size of 100 gallons or less. The pink tail, the huma picaso, the huma rectangle, the niger, and the bursa triggerfish are all 9" + and their minimum tank size is only 70 gallons. That doesn't really make any sense... What about a niger or a huma picaso? Or would they attack the clown or eat corals or invertebrates? I've also heard that humas can be real jerks...

Last edited:
Humas can definitely be jerks. I have a Niger and he is a sweetheart... for the most part.
This is the only thing I disagree with liveaquaria on. I wouldn't put a trigger in anything smaller than a 125. You need to take into consideration that a smaller space would make an aggressive fish more aggressive. I can't speak for the others as far as corals, but they will eat your inverts. And mine tries to rearrange my tank pretty frequently. Everything has to be glued down.

And yes, a yellow tang would be fine your QT.

I think I'll stay away from triggers from now... Would I be able to put any more fish in my tank? It's 5 gallons per inch of fish right? If you count my eel as a 10" fish, then the tang is 7" and the clown is 5" then that's exactly 110 gallons worth of fish.[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7deClndzQw"][/ame]

Last edited:
It's one small fish for every ten gallons... but I would think the eel, the tang and the maroon would put you pretty close. Especially since eels are messy eaters.

I think I'll get the clown, put it in the 40 gallon, wait until the eel starts eating, get the yellow tang, then wait a couple of weeks then I can put the clown in.

I'm loving the idea of turning the 40 gallon into a reef tank! :D

Back