Yotes 125

Thanks y'all

Thats actually a torch skeleton.I was thinking about the flow in my tank when I added that one and it got the polyps beat out of it.So I stay away from LPS now and just stick with SPS.

Thanks y'all

Thats actually a torch skeleton.I was thinking about the flow in my tank when I added that one and it got the polyps beat out of it.So I stay away from LPS now and just stick with SPS.

Geez man... Do you have a frick'n Turbine in your tank?!?!? :-)

Yote,
I have saved one of your pics and edited it. I have one SPS coral in my frag tank, but I do not know what it is. It will not grow UP. In 2yrs it has grown from a small stick the diameter of a pencil and 3/4" long to a carpet of sorts. It has spread out to a sorta carpet about 2" x 1.5" but it won't grow any branches UP. I circled your pic on the spot that looks like my coral. Just a flat mat.

I had trouble getting it to stay in place when I first got it. So, on the advice of another reefer, I laid it down on it's side and wedged it into a crack horizontally.

Click for larger pics.

Yours:

Mine:

A closer angle:

Why the heck does it spread out like a carpet? This was fragged off a big branching SPS coral that looked like a tree. I think it's an acro, but I do not think it's a Green Slimer. Might be. The polyps are kinda purple and the body of the stony part is usually fluorescent green.

I don't want to go way off topic here. Don't want to hijack your thread. Just wondering if you can tell me if this is normal behavior for an SPS coral. Will it EVER start growing branches like the mother colony?

Last edited:
Rc,That things got so much polyp extension that I cant see enough of the skeleton to tell what kind it is.So your doing something right with it.
I cant remember how much you flow you have,but I'm guessing its geared more toward LPS.Maybe thats why its not branching out:dunno:
But I like it:D

Rc,That things got so much polyp extension that I cant see enough of the skeleton to tell what kind it is.So your doing something right with it.
I cant remember how much you flow you have,but I'm guessing its geared more toward LPS.Maybe thats why its not branching out:dunno:
But I like it:D

I can swish a turkey baster around and make it retract it's polyps. If I do that and snap a pic would it help ID it?

I may be wrong Rc.But google Echinopora.I'm thinking it could Echinopora horrida (hedgehog coral),But I my be way out in left field too.

BTW
Post away in my thread:DMaybe some day it'll have as many posts as Biffs:D

I may be wrong Rc.But google Echinopora.I'm thinking it could Echinopora horrida (hedgehog coral),But I my be way out in left field too.

BTW
Post away in my thread:DMaybe some day it'll have as many posts as Biffs:D

Nope. That ain't it. It looked like a tree branch when she fragged it off the mother colony. I was there and watched her frag it. But was such a newb and really had no idea what she was giving me. Could have been a water moccasin for all I knew.

I seam to remember it looking like an acropora.

If it is an acro, is it normal for them to grow a mat like yours did -- then start growing branches upward?

Yeah,Acros will grow an encrusting base like that.But I've never seen one just grow the base and not some branches to go with it.

Its got me stumpped.

It's probably a Green Slimer, but I'm too much of an air head to remember exactly. For some reason I have myself convinced it's NOT a Green Slimer though.

I sent a PM to the woman who sold it to me a few years ago. I'm hoping she will respond with an ID.

It IS starting to grow a couple little bumps that look like they might turn into branches eventually.

This thing is 2yrs old though. It must be a REALLY slow grower. I probably don';t have the right lights and calcium for it. It's under some pretty intense PC lights and only 3" under the surface, but still probably not enough.

Okay, enough of that BS. Back to your tank Yote. Sorry you lost so many fish last week. But the new coral sure is purdy!! :Cheers:

Green slimer would explain it being slow about growing.Those are slower than I am,and thats sayin somethin:D
But of course low calcium and alkalinity will slow em down too.
Let me know if that lady responds.You've got me curious about what it is now:D

Last night I brought home a red fairy wrasse,green mandrine,and another Stylophora frag (to replace the one I knocked behind the rock).
I get home and find out the AC wasnt working and the tank was sitting right about 89*.All my corals was closed up,fish was hiding,and there I was 3 bags of livestock to acclimate.Took about an hour to get the air back going.Looks like the only casuality was my cleaner shrimp.
I'll get pics posted when the camear charges.

Last edited:
holy crap what is it with tanks overheating this week. hope everything makes it yote i would hate to see anything more than the shrimp dieing

wow that's some heat! Hopefully everything will pull through, it's not like it was that way all weekend or anything. I really like that new sponge, and the bottlebrush is very cool!

Yote, I'm sorry to hear about your ac and hot tank. I hope that you caught it in time and don't suffer any major losses. You have worked so hard to get your tank just right, I would hate to see you endure a set-back like that.

Yote, I'm sorry to hear about your ac and hot tank. I hope that you caught it in time and don't suffer any major losses. You have worked so hard to get your tank just right, I would hate to see you endure a set-back like that.

yes that would suck big time to loose all that you have in your tank like you did with that nem

Thanks y'all
The only thing I lost,that I can see,was both my cleaner shrimps.They liked to hang out up top on my magnivore.And heat rises in water the the same as does air,so they didnt make it.
But we got several more of em at the store,so that aint no big deal.
The hardest part about the AC,was reaching in there to stick a wire back in place.I guess over the years,the vibration worked it loose.
Its all good now.Got the house temp back down to 66:D so I'm happy.

Back