zoas wont live

I do agree then there is such a thing as "to much light" in my case however I dont think this to be the case. I have other lower light corals like carnations, mushrooms which are doing fine and growing nicely,, I believe in my case that it is a nutrition issue( lack of it for the zoas), I moved the zoas over to the seahorse tank I am sure it will be rich enough for them there..:D

Sen, just because you kill a bunch of your corals by not properly acclimating them to the light, doesnt mean that is everyone else's problem in the world with their corals.

Some zoas can and are sensitive to light. However, my point here is and was that that is by no means "too much light". The pic I posted is 9 months old, and those tubs blues at the top are now 3 times that size and closer to the surface. The issue is nutrients, plain and simple.

I said it before, feed more, your tank is too clean. Maybe even add more fish.

So far, the only zoas I have not been able to keep in that tank are the "deep water" zoas.

Sen, just because you kill a bunch of your corals by not properly acclimating them to the light, doesnt mean that is everyone else's problem in the world with their corals.

Never had any problem over acclimating corals.

From the article: over-lighting is indeed a possibility in artificial conditions, even if a small-polyped stony coral is photoacclimated to high light intensity.

Hope it wasn't over your head.

Last edited:
Some zoas can and are sensitive to light. However, my point here is and was that that is by no means "too much light". The pic I posted is 9 months old, and those tubs blues at the top are now 3 times that size and closer to the surface. The issue is nutrients, plain and simple.

I said it before, feed more, your tank is too clean. Maybe even add more fish.

So far, the only zoas I have not been able to keep in that tank are the "deep water" zoas.

It is well known in our hobby that "watts" does not by any means tell the whole story on light. The best measure is PAR. Simply considering your wattage and your coral growth doesn't really prove anything.

Form the website "Corals 101":

You have to be careful with soft corals that you don't give them TOO much light because they can reach a saturation point. This is the point where the coral gets too much light and starts to shut down because of oxygen poisoning. Aquarium Lighting

Sen, i am not disagreeing with you that too much light can be a problem, what I do disagree with you about is how often that is a problem. You suggest too much light is the issue with every coral problem we have on here. I think its hillarious personally, i just wait and see how long it takes you post it for every thread. And from the way you tell it, you have about nearly killed every coral you have ever had with your big old 250 watt metal halide lighting. Which is funny because you mention that PAR is the best measurement of lighting intensity, but you only ever report the wattage of your coral killing light.

Also, in the first article you linked to, you missed two important things
1 - almost no work has been done wtih soft corals. Which is pretty important considering we all know how very different soft and SPS corals behave when the enviroment is changed and the conditions required for their best growth.
2 - the coral was never exposed to same maximum intensity of light the coral had naturally recieved in the ocean and in the holding tank. I also think this whole sudy supports another critical fact everyone in the hobby should know, you change the lighting, you have to re-acclimate the corals. Doing it too fast is damanging to coral, Ive done this myself to a few corals.

I also dont believe for one hot second all the people working at your LFS are marine biologist. It wouldnt matter if they were anyways, the courses required to get those degrees dont teach you anything about taking care of fish or corals in a home enviorment, and outside of the classes almost none of them study what is going on in our tanks vs the wild.

Finally, you should never ever assume that you are smarter than anyone on here. You know absolutly nothing about me, my background or what I do. You just look like an ass.

Last edited:
Sen, i am not disagreeing with you that too much light can be a problem, what I do disagree with you about is how often that is a problem. You suggest too much light is the issue with every coral problem we have on here. I think its hillarious personally, i just wait and see how long it takes you post it for every thread. And from the way you tell it, you have about nearly killed every coral you have ever had with your big old 250 watt metal halide lighting. Which is funny because you mention that PAR is the best measurement of lighting intensity, but you only ever report the wattage of your coral killing light.

Also, in the first article you linked to, you missed two important things
1 - almost no work has been done wtih soft corals. Which is pretty important considering we all know how very different soft and SPS corals behave when the enviroment is changed and the conditions required for their best growth.
2 - the coral was never exposed to same maximum intensity of light the coral had naturally recieved in the ocean and in the holding tank. I also think this whole sudy supports another critical fact everyone in the hobby should know, you change the lighting, you have to re-acclimate the corals. Doing it too fast is damanging to coral, Ive done this myself to a few corals.

I also dont believe for one hot second all the people working at your LFS are marine biologist. It wouldnt matter if they were anyways, the courses required to get those degrees dont teach you anything about taking care of fish or corals in a home enviorment, and outside of the classes almost none of them study what is going on in our tanks vs the wild.

Finally, you should never ever assume that you are smarter than anyone on here. You know absolutly nothing about me, my background or what I do. You just look like an ass.

I think you are taking this issue too personally.

In the years I have posted on here rarely have I brought up the issue of "too much light". The Marine Scene is absolutely the best LFS in the entire Washington DC area. My local group, wamas loves the place. I think if you actually went there you might form a different opinion.

I think one of the great things about LR is that people can disagree with each other in a friendly way -in fact some disagreement on issues can be a good thing.

I think you are taking this issue too personally.

In the years I have posted on here rarely have I brought up the issue of "too much light". The Marine Scene is absolutely the best LFS in the entire Washington DC area. My local group, wamas loves the place. I think if you actually went there you might form a different opinion.

I think one of the great things about LR is that people can disagree with each other in a friendly way -in fact some disagreement on issues can be a good thing.

Yeah sometimes disagreements are beneficial to the learning process. A lot of the worlds top minds disagree. It's that finding common ground to move past conflict of ideas and to except ones opinion on a matter that really counts. This is also one reason I enjoy it here. Also the fact that there are a lot of great minds here. Sure I admit I've buttheads with some folks here but over time they to me are good friends. And I value there opinions on matters. So yeah sometimes a good debate is needed.

I don't want to take sides, but I have several zooanthid mini colonies directly under AI Sols center pucks with the laser beam 40 degree optics and I have not seen any ill effects of 'too much light'

More than there being too much light, I think people fail to properly acclimate coral to the lights they have, but that's a totally different topic

Back