10 Gal Reef set-up

Just remember why they call them pistol shrimp...I had a hitchhiker pistol once and I thought somebody shot a 22 in the house the first time the little bastard made his presence known....he usually only popped just as my little girl drifted off to sleep....then POW!!!!!

Yeah....and they have teenie tiny tails too....it would take a big ole bunch of them to even make a shrimp cocktail!!!!

I had a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp once that I named Scamp...because my little girl and my wife wouldn't let me name him Scampi....

So, paid for 1 Yellow Watchman Goby, and Two Maroon Clowns (All three of them are Juvi's so very small). Can't wait to pick them up and put them in once the cycle ends :)!

Isn't it a little to rushed to put 3 fish in a 10 gallon at once? And also what do you mean by you have 5 gallons of top off water pre-made?? When you top off you should only use freshwater, not saltwater. Because when water evaporates the salt is still left behind. So if you top off with saltwater your salinity would be really high.

Isn't it a little to rushed to put 3 fish in a 10 gallon at once? And also what do you mean by you have 5 gallons of top off water pre-made?? When you top off you should only use freshwater, not saltwater. Because when water evaporates the salt is still left behind. So if you top off with saltwater your salinity would be really high.

It is indeed very rushed to put three fish in such a small tank all at one time.

And I wouldn't do maroons in a 10g for even a short period of time. If I were you I'd see if you could swap the maroons for one of the smaller, less aggressive species.

Yup...maroons are beasts...VERY aggressive...and remember the old rule of thumb...one inch of fish per 10 gallons of tank....

Sorry, didn't meantion this, the Maroons are going into the 55 and the Ocellaris are going into the 10. Nothing happening yet though. I paid for them in advance so I won't have to worry about it later when the time comes.

And when i said pre-made, i mean dechlorinated water. Theres no salt in it.

After doing some research I've come to the conclusion that you guys are right. I think I'm going to go back to the LFS and tell him to keep the maroons and switch over to a easier breed of clownfish to handle. Even in my 55 I don't want something that aggressive, seeing as I wanted a community tank. What would you guys suggest? I'd rather not get more Perculas or Ocellaris, what's another small breed of clown that isn't as aggressive? (I know all clowns can be, but I'm talking about a much less aggressive then maroons) Thanks in advance for your input! :)

I had one for a while, only problem is I didn't really wanna spend 40$ per clown lol. But, hey, it's a possibility. Can you add one, and then another one later without any problems?

I did. I had my black and white for several months before I got the other one. I just made sure my new one was bigger. They paired up without major fighting issues.

I was told get a smaller one as your second. Your first one will likely be a female alone and the new one needs to be asexual or male.

That's not how it turned out in mine. He was still small and I added her and 2 months later she has doubled in size. This was taken last week.

IMAG4628_zpsc0fbea4e.jpg

Last edited:
Ok well the money was put as store credit for now. Also, have a question, what is the compatibility between a Yellow Watchman 3/4" and a Yellow Clown Goby 1"? Would they instantly try to murder eachother, or more or less stay away from eachother?

I guess I could try it at some point, if it doesn't work out and I see a lot of aggression, I can either swap one to the 55, or bring it back for credit. Not in a big rush anyway, cycle isn't done yet anyway.

Back