10 Gal Reef set-up

Theres hiding spots in it for him, and the one I was looking at was about 3/4 a inch as of now so I think when the tank finishes it's cycle, that's the size I'll want to get him at. Also, my HOB filter has a mini refug in it that has a ton of copepods (and even some amphipods [i dosed it like a loser :(] so he'll have life food on top of mysis/this meaty mixture my LFS sells (Has Krill, Plankton, Brine, and Mysis all in one).

So my LFS told me that if I re-used the water, and didn't clean out the my HOB filter and I just replaced the substrate in the tank, I could possibly have a very quick cycle in the tank. Was he right? It's only been up and running for about 2 days now 0_o

Attachments

• 2013-03-23_22-27-33_786.jpg
    2013-03-23_22-27-33_786.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 324
can't tell what your ammonia is but nitrites and nitrates looked spiked which is good...however my nitrites took a week to go down to zero

man I really want to do another tank now lol

Most of your bacteria live in the rock and on the surfaces of the system....not to mention in the water column itself so if your rock was kept wet and a good bit of the water was reused, the same equipment, etc., it could very well be a quick cycle....

can't tell what your ammonia is but nitrites and nitrates looked spiked which is good...however my nitrites took a week to go down to zero

man I really want to do another tank now lol
Haha do a 10g reef :D. The Oddysea T5 HO 4 Bulb fixture for it is only like 54$. So, it's relatively easy to do corals with it haha :). And the ammonia is at .5

Most of your bacteria live in the rock and on the surfaces of the system....not to mention in the water column itself so if your rock was kept wet and a good bit of the water was reused, the same equipment, etc., it could very well be a quick cycle....
About 7 Gallons of the 10 was re-used. And I re-used all the same equipment. I'd be really happy if it ran it's cycle fast :). I been wanting to pick up a tiiiinnyyyy Yellow Watchman Goby I saw the other day. He's somewhere between 1/2"-3/4". Also pre-paid for a little emerald crab and several hermits at my LFS for the CUC. Not sure how well emeralds will do in a reef or a 10g. If he gets out of hand/too big, I can always toss him in the 55g.

I have an emerald in my 75 and he stays on the same rock..I went in my LFS today and they had a little yellow prawn goby, soooo cute

I reserved an orange spotted watchmen today, getting him next weekend and I am super excited

I have a orange spotted watchman (thats also known as the diamond watchman). He's great. Sifts the sand like nobodies business lol. At first he was shy as hell, but after a week, he's out and about all the time

good...it is the actual orange spotted watchmen with the black stripes on the under belly

I hear the diamond doesn't have these??

I figured...are you doing an ATO system on the 10G?
Nah, I have 5 gallons of top off water pre-made, and I just add roughly a cup a day to it. Thinking about doing a DIY ato with a jug, some surgical tubing, and a drip regulator lol

The diamond gets to be about 6" and is a sandsifter, the orange spotted is 3.5" and a shrimp goby.
Oh, didn't know that! Thanks for the info :).

So Marinne, looks like yours isn't really a sand sifter. Maybe you could get a pistol shrimp so they can house a spot together :question:

Back