140 gallon on the second floor?

Was thinking about ripping the wall out down stairs to inspect and place alot more 2x4s in the wall for extra security since I use to do sheetrock and maybe add some support to floor as well. I haven't decided yet.

Hey all...new here

Read your post SalteeDogg and you brought up some serious questions.

I am in the middle of consulting an Engineer as I am not confident that my '70's House will support a large tank.

I posted as I want you to be aware that your WHOLE floor needs to support the weight of the tank, across ALL joists and your idea of supporting it with 2x4 will be a toothpick fix. Please read here how large an aquarium can my floor support
It makes for very boring, but very Good reading. It has made me think twice about just installing a big tank. As I said, I am researching Engineers to make sure my Old home is going to stand up to this.
As a Homeowner it can't hurt to spend a couple hundred dollars or whatever it costs to be sure that Insurance will cover it if the floor fails.
With that in mind........
At least use 2x10's and make sure you do this BEFORE you place the empty tank so you alleviate any floor flex or whatever it's called.
After the tank placement is not good.

Good luck with your new tank !!!!!!
Greg

I am moving into a new home that was built in the mid 1970's. The floor on the second level is supported by 2x10 joist. On newer homes they build the second level out of particle board which is a lot weaker. The second level floor feels really solid with no flex. Was wondering if it would be safe to place the tank up stairs along the back wall? There is a brick wall on the outside but don't think the bricks would support anything? A buddy of mine has a 240 gallon upstairs in a new home which are not made as stout as older homes. I am new to tanks being upstairs so any help would be appreciated. :sfish:

My first post may not make it ... I'm new here

I recommend you use at least 2x10 supports and do so before you place the tank

I am hiring an Engineer as my House was built in the 70's

I recommend you check things out for Insurance purposes before you go any further, if it's not too late as I am 3 weeks behind this post

Good luck with your Tank !!!!!!
Greg

Back